• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 XJ 5speed Power Steering Issue?

Tweakz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys! I am new to the XJ community and just drove home my first 4x4 yesterday. Drives and runs great but the only thing I noticed is when im in neutral. Or have the clutch pushed in that I have almost no steering. It's as if there is no power steering. I also noticed it in reverse while feathering the clutch. I have no idea what could cause this. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

do you have power steering at all? or, more likely, do you just not notice that you dont have power steering when you are moving?

the likely hood that there is a connection between your clutch peddle and the steering is basically zero.

Power steering is there. So I assume it must be the pump. The more throttle I give the better control I have. Just makes off road or backing in almost impossible. Just wanted an opinion before I tore the pump out and replaced it

Update. Power steering pump is all brand new. The steering issue only occurs when I'm not giving it gas. So slow turns or parking stuff like that is a serious issue. Works like a pearl at 10mph or more. Any ideas? Faulty new pump maybe?

Is your belt slipping? Serp belt requires a LOT more tension than you'd think. I checked mine with a Krikit after my alt would drop out in the rain and found that my "educated thumb" (on V-belts) just had it set way too loose.

Is your belt slipping? Serp belt requires a LOT more tension than you'd think. I checked mine with a Krikit after my alt would drop out in the rain and found that my "educated thumb" (on V-belts) just had it set way too loose.

Weirdly enough my belt is actually too tight. It makes a whine right now. Previous owner custom made a bracket and must have been off by 1/18th of an inch because the belt is brand new and has way too much tension. Could that be the issue?

I'm new to Jeeps and have never had this kind of issue in any vehicle

Weirdly enough my belt is actually too tight. It makes a whine right now. Previous owner custom made a bracket and must have been off by 1/18th of an inch because the belt is brand new and has way too much tension. Could that be the issue?

I'm new to Jeeps and have never had this kind of issue in any vehicle

What kind of bracket did he make? Pictures? If you replaced the pump an it only works as rpm increases it has to be a fluid flow problem. Is it full or air? Did you bleed it well?

What kind of bracket did he make? Pictures? If you replaced the pump an it only works as rpm increases it has to be a fluid flow problem. Is it full or air? Did you bleed it well?

The previous owner did all the power steering work. I tried to let air out of the power steering by popping the cap and turning the steering wheel hard left then hard right to try and push out any air. that didn't seem to fix it, unless I am doing something wrong.

The previous owner did all the power steering work. I tried to let air out of the power steering by popping the cap and turning the steering wheel hard left then hard right to try and push out any air. that didn't seem to fix it, unless I am doing something wrong.

I have loosened the return line on the box to bleed air. Another method I've also done is put the front on jack stands cycle the steering lock to lock which if there is air it will get fluid frothy. You let it sit and settle then add fluid as needed and do it again.

Back