• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GM side-to-top battery post conversion

Maz

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all;

Has anybody converted the side post to top post battery terminal on a GM truck?

If so, is there a kit for it? For DYI, where would one look for the connectors, cables, etc.

I've got a 2002, C2500, suburban and the positive terminal is all corroded. I want to convert to top post mounting, and replace cables and terminals.

TIA ... Maz

Any parts store will have the little adapters that allow you to use the side mount cables on a top post battery. They are cheap.

I just cut the terminals and installed the clamp on type, in the store battery section. You just strip the cable stick it in there and tighten a nut, installing the clamp. The battery clamps aren't permanent, they wear out, corrode and break so its no big deal to replace. Speaking of which, the XJ is overdue.

bajacalal said:
No prob. If its just lightly (surface) corroded though, .............
To give you some background. I had a no start last weekend. Turning the ignition key would cause a rapid clicking which I traced to the starter. Dash lights/dome lights would flicker and then die. I looked at the battery side posts and, what do you know, the positive battery post/bolt looked corroded. Measured battery voltage and it kept fluctuating between 0 and 11.8 volts. Couldn't get a steady reading. I figured it's the corrosion. Tried to remove battery cable and the positive post (nut) came right out of the battery; completely shot (see pic).
I need a new battery, and want to convert to top post mounting, while at it. GM side post POS terminals are famous for corrosion and failure.

_Maz
9r16km.jpg

I bet you still had the AC delco battery in it. It seems all delco do this. Alot of them roll in my shop that way. I wouldnt sweat it. Clean the connections put some sealer or dielectric grease on them and drive. Shouldnt have a problem with it once it is taken care of.

comancheon33 said:
I bet you still had the AC delco battery in it. It seems all delco do this.
You are right. It's an AC Delco battery. I am a few days past factory warranty, but the dealer agreed to put in a new battery and replace the + cable (good will). I got rid of the battery post crud that's stuck to the cable, cleaned everything off with a solution of baking soda (the stuff works great), popped the Jeep's battery in there and she fired and purred like a dream. I am headed to the dealer in an hour.
FWIW, cleaning the cable terminal is not enough as the battery acid works it's way done the cable and eventually gets to alternator / starter and ruins them. One can't see this happening until too late. It's a well documented problem with chevys and AC Delcos. Better/safer bet is to replace the + cable.

_Maz

Just one final note, remember that one reason GM came out with those damnable side terminal batteries was to allow lower clearance to the hood, so before converting to top terminals, make sure there's room and the hood doesn't hit them.

THAT IS very TRUE!! My friend richard changes his wire termals on his camaro, then slammed the hood shut. We got to see some nice fire-works when the battery shorted out through the hood. ( He was REALLLLY hot because he had bought and installled a new steel cowl-induction style hood, and just went and cooked it, along with the battery AND his wire harness.)

Matthew Currie said:
Just one final note, remember that one reason GM came out with those damnable side terminal batteries was to allow lower clearance to the hood, so before converting to top terminals, make sure there's room and the hood doesn't hit them.
Good advice. Thanks.

_Maz

Back