• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ with 122K...Is it prone to head problems?

Never did post what my results were - had the cracked head problem. Got a reman'd one out of Florida somewhere for $200 + core. It was purchased before I saw the other head that was suggested to me. But I haven't had a lick of trouble since... So far anyway.

Things aren't looking good. The oil pressure is at or near 0 when the engine is at operating temperature and there are no external coolant leaks but the coolant is going some where.

The garage is recommending a new motor. I purchased an extended warranty with the vechicle and the warranty company wants the garage to determine a cause before they authorize the claim to verify that it is a warranty covered item. The garage has to pull the head and have it analyzed but they are backup currently and won't get to it until tomorrow, so I'm stuck in a Saturn Ion(rental) for another two days at least.

I've only put 5000 miles on the Jeep since I bought it and have changed the oil twice. Once when I first got it and just recently at like 4899 miles.

Yes the 0331 got you. You can use the 96-98 head if you modify for the coil ignition rail.

Well at least you got an extended warranty. You won't keel over driving the Ion. Enjoy the gas milage while you can. I've had two car worked on under extended warranty. One is a long story, the other went well. Actually the first one was repaired again under extended warranty. Sounds like they will use a rebuilt engine. Much better than just placing on a new head.
I bought an engine that didn't run right as it had its head cracked for $40 with no head. Latter, someone needed a 4.0L block. Since I had that motor they used it. One of the cam lobes was wiped out, like a 1/4. Between three 4.0L motors they came up with a good running engine. So some coolant in the oil can have bad effects on engine parts.
I think there is usually a $50 deductable. Hey $50 for a refreshed motor is a good deal.
Tom

RyanM said:
Yes the 0331 got you. You can use the 96-98 head if you modify for the coil ignition rail.

For the most part, you can use a 99 head too, they're also the 0630's.

99XJSPORT06 said:
For the most part, you can use a 99 head too, they're also the 0630's.

That is what my 99 has, found this out by mistake after I picked up a new manifold gasket(for a 99-01) and realized the holes in the gasket for the exhaust ports were way to small.

anony91xj said:
I've seen and read a lot about head problems on the 99-01 engines on internet forums, and only on internet forums.

That being said, I've never actually seen one in my experiences as a tech. I've also talked to techs at the local Jeep/Chryco/Dodge dealership, and they also said there are no common head problems with Cherokee 4.0 engines. Chrysler has released no head or head gasket-related TSB's that I've seen. I wouldn't worry too much about it honestly.

Same here, I've never had to or seen anybody at my shop have to replace a head on a 4.0. not saying that it's not happening, but just that I dont think It's as common as everybody says. and im in Arizona and we have loads of cooling system work.

MisterFubar said:
That is what my 99 has, found this out by mistake after I picked up a new manifold gasket(for a 99-01) and realized the holes in the gasket for the exhaust ports were way to small.

My 99 also has a 0630....thank goodness!

MisterFubar said:
I think there was a mid year switch in 99 to the smaller exhaust ports. Do either of these 99 have the distributorless ignition?
Tom

75SV1 said:
I think there was a mid year switch in 99 to the smaller exhaust ports. Do either of these 99 have the distributorless ignition?
Tom

Mine does not either. I have a pretty late build date for a 99 model year (9/99)

Head cracked between 3 and 4. It was visible with the naked eye. The inspector was out and looked it over. I had the garage pull the main bearings as well to show him that the leak was done damage to the bearings as well. Right now the warranty company is checking it's part vendors for a remanufactured motor. The garage I deal with wants to use a Jasper. I want a Jasper. I don't want a salvaged motor because it will probably have a 0331 head.

Is there a number to file a complaint with DC?

Well, add me to the list. Just saw the bubbling coolant on my head this morning. '00 with 143K Km's (89.5K miles)
If I can get a head and manifold I should be good to use one from a 91-99 as long as the earlier heads are HO right (7120's)? At least this is what I've surmised after a good search of the site (I should be able to ues the 7120 and 0630 castings). I just wanted to be sure.
I can change the exhasut no problem as in Canada we only had the one cat with an O2 sensor before and after ... nothing on the factory manifolds or downtubes so I plan to adapt. Reason I'm asking is I know of someone who just rolled a '91 jeep waiting to see if it's an HO 4.0L.
Thanks

Last edited:
The head should swap from a 91. I'd keep the intake manifold from the '00. There are two problems to be aware of. Firts, there is a temp sensor on the driver side on the 91-95 heads. You need to plug it. The 91-95 heads don't have dowel pin holes for positioning of the head. You will need to align the head visually by the bolt holes.
Tom

thanks for that, I'll use locating studs at 4 points then.

anyone know at what point in production the 0331 head was introduced? Only 2000 model year into 2001, or as early as 1999? is there a way to find out whether or not an XJ has the head from the factory, given the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)? I want to go look at a '99 but the car is parked at one of those lots where you park it and the keys are held at the lot - the dickhead that works there won't go look under the hood to check the stamping # and it's an hour away so i don't want to waste time and gas going down there to check myself. if it's got the 0630 i'd go down and check it out, ya know whattimean?

Dr. Dyno said:
It's an odds-on bet that your head has cracked in the commonest place; between the no.3 and 4 cylinders. The crack may only be on the top between the crankcase and the water jacket but the head is most likely still to be junk. A little steam from the exhaust on a cold damp day when the engine's cold is normal, but steam appearing when the engine's hot definitely isn't.
What year is your XJ and how many miles on the engine? The 2000 model seems to be the worst affected by the head cracking issue.

What about steam inside the crankcase?

If I remove the oil filler cap while the engine is hot I get a bit of steam from the inside. Or heat steam......whatever.

I have a 95......

inline6 said:
anyone know at what point in production the 0331 head was introduced? Only 2000 model year into 2001, or as early as 1999? is there a way to find out whether or not an XJ has the head from the factory, given the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)? I want to go look at a '99 but the car is parked at one of those lots where you park it and the keys are held at the lot - the dickhead that works there won't go look under the hood to check the stamping # and it's an hour away so i don't want to waste time and gas going down there to check myself. if it's got the 0630 i'd go down and check it out, ya know whattimean?
I think if you look at this thread, two people replied till September the XJ used the 0630 head. Might check that date against the vin number. Also, the latter head would have the distributorless ignition.
Tom

well i have the VIN but i don't have the build date. the person that listed their build date of 9/99 didn't list their VIN so i can't estimate what the build date of the car i am interested in without a reference. i also don't know what build date (mo/year) would be the last for the '99 model year - on my '71 Triumph TR6 and my '67 VW the model year starts in september and ends in august as i recall. seems like that's changed in modern/recent times, shifted a month or two forward since then. guess i'll just do the one hour drive down to san jose and look under the hood myself for the magic number.

Back