• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ Rear End Swap Questions

Forestgreenxj

NAXJA Forum User
Im pretty new to the 4x4 word and even newer to the Jeep world, but my jeep has the Dana 35 rear end and my end goal is 3.5 in lift and 33's on ot for occasional off road use. I sourced a Chrysler 8.25 rear end out of a 00 jeep for cheap, would this be a good way to go and what else would I need for this swap? Thank you, Mike

8.25 will be fine for what your looking to do. Nothing needed for the swap other than new U bolts and maybe spring plates? Everything else should be the same.

Last one we swapped driveshaft was the same from D35 to 8.25. At 3.5" of lift your going to need an SYE and get another front driveshaft for the rear anyway

Will I need the drive shaft from the 2000 jeep to go with the rear end? And who makes the best spring plates or is a plate basically a plate so it dosent matter? Thanks for all the help!

When I swapped in a 00 8.25 into my 91 I purchased Clayton spring plates, I think. When I torqued the 1/2" U bolts down the plates bent, was not impressed even though they are like 3/8" thick or something. Even my old d35 plates didn't bend much with 1/2" bolts. I torqued them to the spec I was given from the spring shop I got the bolts from.

Don't you have ABS?

D35 and Chry 8.25 do have different length drive shafts. If swapping at stock suspension height use the matching driveshaft to the axle being installed. If swapping with a small lift, use the longer D35 shaft.

Drive Shaft Length

1996.5-2001 ........29 spline 8.25 .... 27 7/8"
1997-2001 ...........D35 .................. 28 7/8"

Drive shaft length measured from center to center of each u-joint on the tube part of the drive shaft for 4.0L with AW4 and NP231.

Spring plate comparison, OE and IRO ( http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10481.html ) :

IROSpringPlates1OPT.jpg

And:

IROSpringPlates2OPT.jpg

Note you can get new U-bolts from IRO too.

Also note that a piece of 1/2" copper, cut with a tubing cutter and only partially deburred inside (how much to deburr depends on how much rust build up is present on your existing parts) makes for a convenient e-brake cable release tool:

SCRAS36OPT.jpg

Gear ratios are the same 3.55's would 3 inches of lift need a SYE?

Need a sye, no, but it would be a wise option over 3.5" with 33's. Also with 33's on 3.55's you're going to want to regear. Wouldn't go above 30's on stock gears and be able to keep the rig capable for offroad. For just DD and dirt road use probably be fine, but there will be a point where 3.55's just won't do. Good luck with the rig!

Also note, a 1/2" box wrench works very well for removing the parking brake cables.

With 33's you probably want to have 4.56 gears. Most towns have a shop that will make u-bolts. Our local shop is cheaper than NAPA sells them and higher quality too. The vendors that sell lifts generally sell spring plates & u-bolts as well. Depending on the 'lift package' that you get, these parts will be included.

So does anyone want dayna 35's because ill list mine on craigslist or I could turn it back into the junkyard for 50 bucks? Or the third option is keep it in case I break my 8 1/4 I just picked up. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Back