• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.2L Magnum XJ engine swap

I think what Demonoid369 was implying, and what I have seen on here, is that the cruise needs some electronic work that is way beyond the capability of most of us. The gauges need to keep the original computer, which is a bit of a hack if you ask me, and I haven't heard ANYONE say they did an ls swap with an ovehead console and got it all working. Not actually sure the mopar route gets that working either. I want my stock gauges, the cruise and the console working. Mine is a DD and not cut up. I plan to keep it a jack of all trades kinda rig. Not sure I'll ever do a V8 in it, but I'm thinking about it.

I think what Demonoid369 was implying, and what I have seen on here, is that the cruise needs some electronic work that is way beyond the capability of most of us. The gauges need to keep the original computer, which is a bit of a hack if you ask me, and I haven't heard ANYONE say they did an ls swap with an ovehead console and got it all working. Not actually sure the mopar route gets that working either. I want my stock gauges, the cruise and the console working. Mine is a DD and not cut up. I plan to keep it a jack of all trades kinda rig. Not sure I'll ever do a V8 in it, but I'm thinking about it.

This lol
I haven't see a successful ls swap that allows full use of the gauges and dash and cruise. Most I've seen is everyone goes another route like new gauges and something just let go of because trying to incorporate the two system was too difficult or troublesome.
I suck at wiring and I don't need the extra headache of trying to make two electric system work with each other.

This lol
I haven't see a successful ls swap that allows full use of the gauges and dash and cruise. Most I've seen is everyone goes another route like new gauges and something just let go of because trying to incorporate the two system was too difficult or troublesome.
I suck at wiring and I don't need the extra headache of trying to make two electric system work with each other.

My XJ LS swap has all gauges working except tach (will be solved later). The cruise control is not working yet, but it should not be a problem, because the CC cable is pure mechanical thing in my DBC setup, the buttons on steering wheel will function also, because stock jeep PCM is working, speedo signal is present and CCD bus is working also.

If you have DBW setup, then you can use the stock GM control like Racer32 did.

I think any engine swap (except stock 4.0) is about the same electrical and mechanical difficulty level with smal differences. If you can make magnum swap working, you would do LS swap also.

They are both well documented swaps.
Both are worthwhile and cost about the same and are about the same difficulty.
Budget and availability are the only real deciding factors.
I personally would never do an ls swap in an xj. I can purchase a complete low mileage zj with a 5.9 for what a high mileage ls motor and trans would cost me.

Back