• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drive train noise.

The carrier bearings always spin as long as the driveshaft or wheels are turning. Carrier bearings typically make noise under all road conditions as low as 10-20 MPH. To isolate the noise you can run the car on a lift or jack stands. Put your ear to it. Doing carrier bearings properly is not for the unmotivated. For D30/D35, if you are lucky you can take the old bearings off and press new ones on. However, variances in bearing thickness, etc. still may require measuring shims and reshimming. 8.25 requires tools for the side adjusters, setting backlash, etc. By the time you have to deal with all of this, it can be easier to get another good axle from the junk yard.

i did pull the shaft and there was noise. not sure if it was the same noise. however the shift fork was locked at that time the drive shaft was removed. i will remove it when i get home today.

i wonder if the shaft is spinning slowly while the fork is unlocked.

im wondering if there are 2 noises now also. originally i was looking for a faint noise. then this came up. and i assume it was the same noise.

The carrier bearings always spin as long as the driveshaft or wheels are turning. Carrier bearings typically make noise under all road conditions as low as 10-20 MPH. To isolate the noise you can run the car on a lift or jack stands. Put your ear to it. Doing carrier bearings properly is not for the unmotivated. For D30/D35, if you are lucky you can take the old bearings off and press new ones on. However, variances in bearing thickness, etc. still may require measuring shims and reshimming. 8.25 requires tools for the side adjusters, setting backlash, etc. By the time you have to deal with all of this, it can be easier to get another good axle from the junk yard.

i have a spare front axle. but the spring seats are all rotted. i was thinking of grabbing one at the junkyard but i would have liked to keep the center disconnect. and put a posi lock in it. but u suppose i don't need to have that.

Let me think this through - Driver side axle shaft is going wheel speed, passenger is disconnected. Carrier has spider gears, so yes, the spider gears will move and the carrier should be more or less stationary if the driveshaft is stationary and the vehicle is moving. Have you pulled the front driveshaft & seen if the noise is still there? I had a wobbly driveshaft once, pulled it and everything smoothed out nicely. You may have a bad U-joint in the front shaft. There are three of them, cheap fix. Free for the time being if you just pull the shaft out and the noise stops.
Correct which is why driveshafts on disconnect front ends were horribly balanced from the factory. They dont spin all the time so need need for spot on balancing.

i pulled the driveshaft and the noise is still there. and the vacuum actuator was bad. i ordered a posi lock but i must have ordered the one for a 3-6in lift.

the noise seems to stay a constant speed but sounds like it goes away if bumps are hit and the jeep is bouncing up. it sounds slightly jingly sounding like a bell sometimes.

i had time to get the rear end up on jackstands today. rear end seemed to make no noise but the passengers side rear brake was dragging a bit. even with the tcase in 4wd part with no front shaft i could not hear any noise.

so im hoping its just that bearing on the intermediate shaft as it should not be that bad to fix. i could slightly feel a vibration equal to the noise in the steering wheel also which is why i really think its from the front end.

it also does not help that one of my tires is out of balanced and cupped along with a mild toe out. im wondering if i shook the bearing to bits lol.

i had time to get the rear end up on jackstands today. rear end seemed to make no noise but the passengers side rear brake was dragging a bit. even with the tcase in 4wd part with no front shaft i could not hear any noise.

so im hoping its just that bearing on the intermediate shaft as it should not be that bad to fix. i could slightly feel a vibration equal to the noise in the steering wheel also which is why i really think its from the front end.

it also does not help that one of my tires is out of balanced and cupped along with a mild toe out. im wondering if i shook the bearing to bits lol.

Or the cupping is due to a bad bearing? No noise in the air would tend to point to a bad wheel bearing.

i checked the bearings. seem tight and smooth. i will replace them anyhow. also im not 100% sure that the cupping is from this jeep. the tires are from my other jeep.

im going to attempt to remove the rear driveshaft and run it with the front axle up in the air. and hopefully find the noise.

so... it may have been wheel bearings. noise seems to have gone away.

i still have my transfercase noise but that can wait until the spring.

Was tge transfercase input gears compatible? There are two different gear cuts and if you mix match it will make the noise you are describing. Check novaks website for the year cutoff between old and new style.

Was tge transfercase input gears compatible? There are two different gear cuts and if you mix match it will make the noise you are describing. Check novaks website for the year cutoff between old and new style.

They are not even interchangeable!

the np242 transfer-case was a 92 which claims it was compatible with the 88's input gear.

it looks like until 95ish it was the same cut.

Back