• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckles with 1 Ton TRE's

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Question for all the Guru's.

So I'm getting ready to install the knuckles, brakes and such from a WJ and I've heard you either need to run the stock WJ tie rod ends or go with some offset ones like these...
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/TREOFF.html

I'd really like to run the 1 ton stuff with the holes tapered from the top to get the tie rod over the knuckle but I'm looking at the space I have between the bottom ear for the tie rod and the upper link for the drag link and I'm wondering if I will run into any interference.

Has anyone done this and have they ran into issues?

If I can get away with not running the WJ TRE's I'd be a happy guy because I can't find anyone with 24mm taps and I don't want to pay JKS's stupid price for their tie rods and drag links.

You have to flip both the draglink and tie rod. There is not enough room to flip both. You will also need to relocate your tracbar as the angles will most likely not even be close.

I know about the track bar. I'm only asking about the tie rod ends. Your post confuses me. You say I need to flip both then you say there isn't room.

Could you clarify a little?

i run exactly those ends on my WJ swap and they work wonderfully OTK. the only issue is that they will interfere with my 15x8" wheels even being 4"bs. 1" wheel spacers all around solved that and have some room to spare

you can see the space between the wheel and TRE here
xjsteering1.jpg

here's the draglink and tie rod. a regular 1 ton TRE on the drag link with the offset ends on the tie rod

xjsteering2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. Thank you. I'm looking on my phone and it's a little dark but both ends on the pass knuckle are over the knuckle and you didn't run into interference issues?

Also what track bar bracket did you use? The angles look pretty close.

I've seen a thread on one of the forums I frequent. They used Ruffstuff offset TRE and went over the knuckle. I'll see if I can dig it up later on when I get to my home PC. I know exactly what your after.

i have that same setup as well. you will have to flip both the tie rod and drag link. you will also have rim clearance issues as mentioned, if you're running 15's. i have 3.25" backspacing on my rims and i still had to grind a little off the tie rod ends to clear the rim, but it works fine now.

Awesome. Thank you. I'm looking on my phone and it's a little dark but both ends on the pass knuckle are over the knuckle and you didn't run into interference issues?

Also what track bar bracket did you use? The angles look pretty close.

correct, both OTK and no interference issues. the track bar bracket and entire steering for that matter is ruffstuff. you'll be all good with the 17's too

correct, both OTK and no interference issues. the track bar bracket and entire steering for that matter is ruffstuff. you'll be all good with the 17's too
how does it work with the non offset tre on the drag link's axle end? i went with the offset one since my axle is pushed forward a bit and i have a d44 so the cover's a bit bigger.

I used Tera offset TRE's and Goferit weld-in inserts OTK and they clear the wheels (16" Moabs w 1.25" billet spacers) just fine. I have measurements and pics on my build thread. Ryan, swing by and check out my setup if you want.

you'll really like the setup, especially the brakes. friday night i had to stop fast to avoid hitting a cat and i was suprised how fast the thing stopped.
the one thing i do not like about it is the lack of adjustable steering stops. you may want to tap and drill some holes to put your own in like on the xj knuckles.

i don't like cats, but i also dont like having to work around cat guts when wrenching on the heep ;)

Back