• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arm or Drop Bracket????

jpfrk76

NAXJA Forum User
So here is the plan... Maybe. This is my second XJ build, the first ran a 6.5 inch RC lift. I liked the stability, and offroad performance of it, the road manners were way too rough though for me. So this go round I want to run the same lift but with a better ride. I use the jeep to explore, tow a tent trailer, do moderately tough trails in Moab, and dive to work. I like things to just work with the most reliability. So in all your opinions out there, which one do I run? The 6.5 long arm or the short arm with the drop brackets. I do like the price of the latter option since I just found out I have to do a heater core!! Doh!!!!

I don't see how anyone can claim 5.5" to 6.5" lift with large tires as a reliable and stable daily driver... the brakes being the XJ's achilles heel. I would plan a full build, starting with the brakes.

I run 4.5" and 33x10.5s on drop brackets as my DD and love it. I had longarms on my last Jeep but decided not to run them on this one because I wanted better angles on the control arms. You can get the arms level with drop brackets if you keep the lift around 4.5-5", but not with longarms...

I run 4.5-5" and 35s as a DD on Rough Country Long Arms and love it.

I like my short arms with 4.5" of lift. Definitely a ride improvement. Never had long arms, but I get plenty of flex out of the short arms with drop brackets. Just need to get the rear to flex better.

A 4" lift with drop brackets is going to ride as close to stock as a 4" lift ever can. Past 4", though, the control arms start building angle - and by 6" I really don't know if DBs or LAs would have better angles, it depends on where the LAs are mounted.
It sounds like you'd be fine with drop brackets and a 4" lift, consider using rubber or poly bushings in your control arms too - it will smooth out the road manners some.

Check out EricsXJ's build. He gained 2-3 inches of clearance installing TnT radius arms over his drop bracket setup.

I had 4.5-5" lift with drop brackets and the ride quality was pretty rough. They would flex like crazy though. Problem was the tire was pulled really far back in the wheel well and didn't look very good, plus it would hit the back of the fender.

I have a Poly Performance 3-link now and the ride is 10x better and flex is just as good. On 35's, I hardly ever hit the brackets and the arms just act like sliders. 2"x1/4" wall tubing isn't going to bend or dent anytime soon I don't think. The axle is actually pushed forward now and looks a lot better.

Oh wow, I had a feeling this was going to be one of those topics that could go either way. Thanks for the feedback!! I will post pics of the final choice.

Sunbird, after reading your post you made me want long arms. I also have the issue of the axle being too far back. The plan was to put in a longer, non-adjustable arm for the bottom. The brackets have a lot of fore and aft adjustment for the bottom arm already, so that's basically covered. Then have adjustable uppers to keep caster in check.

Only advantage I see to keeping the drop brackets, is that they may save a little on weight compared to the long arms. Even then, if you have the long arms connected to skids and frame strengtheners (and if these are things you want to have anyways), there wont be much difference. Just what the extra length of tube weighs, which can't be all that much.

durability?

That's a good question lol.

I've had all four joints in the long arms replaced within a year and I only wheeled it once. The shocks suck ass too. Nothing special about em. It doesn't ride as well as the RE long arm kit I rode in before but it's better than a 4.5" short arm that I had before. I don't recommend this kit to anyone but I do praise RC for their customer service.

At 4 to 5 inches the Drop Brackets are in the same relative position as they were stock. No way to get LA to ride this good. Any higher and you'll want long arms. I run RE drop brackets and it rides and flexes great. You can get drop brackets cheap from those that are upgrading to LA. If you have the money get the T&T LA setup. It's the best.

At 4 to 5 inches the Drop Brackets are in the same relative position as they were stock. No way to get LA to ride this good. Any higher and you'll want long arms. I run RE drop brackets and it rides and flexes great. You can get drop brackets cheap from those that are upgrading to LA. If you have the money get the T&T LA setup. It's the best.

I agree, I have the RE with Currie upper/lower adj. JJ arms and it flexes great, rides even better! I'm running 35's on 5.5-6" lift and my arms are horizontal to the ground, I could go another inch before I would need LA's

x312879. bang for buck you cant beat drop brackets. like stated previously, you can find good deals on used ones. i got my RE drop brackets and braces for $150. and i have only hit them once on the trail, it wasnt enough to get hung up either.

Back