• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feeling weak (rebuilt 4.0, 4.56, AW4, 31s...), Why?

I wouldn't rule out a back pressure issue. Whats the vac reading under load at ~2k to ~3k after a few seconds? Idle vac readings rarely show excessive back pressure. I have seen back pressure numbers in the 2-5 psi range that can make these 4.0's feel pretty slow.

Agreed. I have seen rich running vehicles destroy cats in hundreds of miles, not thousands. 14k IS pretty long if there was a slight issue.

Honestly, if everything else checks out I would do a back pressure reading. Most muffler shops can do it pretty cheap.

You can make a back pressure gauge super easy if you have a vac/fuel pressure gauge. Cut up an old o2 sensor and thread a Barb fitting​into it. Under 2 would be ideal and anything over 5-7 would be bad.

You can make a back pressure gauge super easy if you have a vac/fuel pressure gauge. Cut up an old o2 sensor and thread a Barb fitting​into it. Under 2 would be ideal and anything over 5-7 would be bad.

Doesn't need to, he has torque. It does live manifold absolute pressure. To test for restricted exhaust, run at 2500 rpm for 3 minutes in neutral/park. If vacuum drops, exhaust system is restricted. If vacuum maintains whatever it started as, no restriction.

Some of the gauges kits come with an adapter that goes into the O2 sensor location. Mine does.

Back