• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Boostwerks.com Rig build thread... (56k killer)

Boostwerks.com

NAXJA Forum User
Welcome to my build thread. :wave1:

Instead of creating a billion different threads with the various projects that I've been working on with my XJ, I figured I'd finally start a consolidated build thread.

Simply put, this is not your average XJ build. The goal of my build is to produce an extreemly comfortable, powerful rig, while still being very offroad worthy. I will be using it to tow my 1800lbs of race car to events accross the rocky mountains, so everything I'm doing has been with this in mind. It's also my daily driver, and camping/wheeling whore.

Overall specs in no particular order:

99 with HP30 29spl 8.25 (currently stock with 4.56's coming)
33x11.5x16 Bighorns + Konig countersteers
Spidertrax spacers
Homebrew crossmember with 1.5" DOM 4 link long arms
Homebrew 1.5" DOM steering
Homebrew 1.25" DOM trackbar
Custom front bumper with Smittybilt 8K winch
KC foglights
autopal E code housing H4 conversion
Ruffstuff stiffeners
OME HD leafs/coils
Bilstein 5100s + custom rear upper and lower mounts
Teraflex budget boost
rear disc conversion
Extensive sound deadening
currie anti-rock front/rear
JB SYE and RE driveshaft
Custom turbo setup currently in build (300ft/lbs is the goal)

Let the pics begin:

(first stage of the build)

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2415.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

(long arm build)

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

(Front bumper build):

I had purchased a bumper kit from Ukrain Train a while back with the intentions of modifying it to my liking. It will have a hidden Smittybilt 8k winch, and recessed KC foglights. Let's just say I like the "clean" look. I'm modifying the design as well, so the bumper will bolt onto frame rail plates instead of being welded to them. It'll make winch access, and bumper removal/installation much easier.

starting out...

IMG_2535.JPG

Had a little mishap with the plasma. just kidding. ;)

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

Test fitment:

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

A little paint so it doesn't rust while I wait to get the bumper powdercoated...

IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

(Turbo build pics):

I will be building a mild turbo setup for this rig as well. I have plans to eventually sell turbo manifolds for the XJ, and this will be the guinea pig. I am trying to complete the rest of the suspension, drivetrain and bumper builds before I tackle this project however.

Borg Warner 57 trim compressor with P trim turbine wheel.

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

Tial 38mm external wastegate:

IMG_2402.JPG

Manifold components:

IMG_2407.JPG

I'll have much more to come. Stay tuned for updates!

Thanks,
Bryson

:party:

sexy

I like the direction this build is going. subscribed :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words guys! I really appreciate it.

I'm going to try and finish my bumper this weekend, and get it ready for the powder coater. I was going to get my 4 link's powder coated at the same time, but I think I'll just rattle can em.

I still need to build a hitch, and track bar setup as well. :)

Whats the OD on the links? Curious why you went so small on them? Nice work on that crossmember....................:thumbup:

Thanks man. The lowers are 1.5" 3/8" wall. The uppers are 1.25" 1/4" wall. The main reason for the sizes is... it was free. The pipe was drop from one of our fab jobs. The other reason being that the rig is 95% mall crawler while the other 5% are mild to moderate trails. The uppers are smaller yet due to the room given to work with and for the fact that there's nothing to hit them.

I also didn't see it being possible to get a weld all the way around the DOM bushing sleeves with a 2" OD pipe. I suppose I could have beveled the bejesus out of it, but to me the extra 1/2" didn't seem worth the trouble.

tell me, did you use all weld in bungs or did you butt weld some nuts on and then grind them down to look like bungs??? looks like nuts though

Bumper updates...

I finished the front cover last weekend. You can see the lower 3/16" plate that I added to Ukraine's kit to give it a little more "aerodynamic" look. I had hoped to flush mount the KC fog lights a little more, but they we're just too big. Since the pics were taken, I had added some 1/4" gussets to the lower peice as well so it doesn't get bent if hit.

I just dropped it off along with my 1.5" DOM steering links at the powder coater about an hour ago, and should have pics next week. It's getting coated with a red/orange metallic which should match the rig nicely. :)

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2558.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

Long arm install coming soon. :clap:

Last edited:
looking good man, cant wait to see the finished product installed.

Thanks man.

While I'm waiting for the bumper and steering to get coated, I went ahead and installed the long arms. The Install went pretty smooth, although it was definetly a pain in the ass. Overall the axle's pushed about an 1.5" forward which put the coils right into the sway bar links. I simply torched the bar off to solve that problem. Other than that, I had no real problems. The links definetly look small though now that they're on the rig. I'll upgrade when I bend one.

I did however decide that I'm going to weld side mount braces for the crossmember as well. Better safe than sorry. :wstupid:
Apparently my GF stole my camera's SD card, so these we're the only pics I was able to get.

It's nice having a 6 ton bridge crane at your disposal. Jacks are for pvssies... ;)

Img_2566.jpg

Img_2569.jpg

Img_2570.jpg

Img_2572.jpg

Next weekend I will be fabbing up the OTA track bar and installing my heim link steering.

Enjoi,
Bryson

Back