• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowl intake relocation

So I am going to do this move the aircleaner in to the cowl but I was thinking of turning the void itself in to the air box plan on finding a small rectangle shaped air box from some jap car (looking in p.a.p.) cutting it up and making a angled filter so I can keep a cheap factory aircleaner .Or do I spend 25$ on a cone and put bends in intake tube smoother the better right.Any input would be good look to figure this out before I start cutting up my Jeep:banghead:

The stock arifilter will do a better job of filtering than most aftermarket filters.
(Plently people on both sides of the arguement)

That being said I don't think there is a big enough difference to matter for what you or I will do. For simplicity I would run a filter into the cowl and avoid using the stock box. The extra room is handy for an accesory compressor or an extra battery for lights or a winch.

Plus you'll be pulling cool air instead of air right next to your exhaust manifold.

Do a little search. Plenty of ppl have done it the right way.
-Mike

Id be curious to see if anyone has done a cowl intake without using the stock air box, and mounting some sort of cone air filter under the cowl.

Ive seen plenty of cowl intakes using the stock intake box, and a couple routing an intake inside, but I dont think Ive seen any with just a cone inside the cowl. Anyone have some pics of someone doing this?

http://www.ericsxj.com/intake/intake.htm

this is the write up i like. i'll be doing something similar to this whenever i get the jeep put back together.

though i was thinking something similar to you. trying to find a rectangular air filter that can fit into the section of the cowl, so you don't need a cone filter and only have some tubing in the engine bay

I meant using a stock honda or someting tiny I found a mini van with a tiny filter but the box was smashed the filter was like 5 x 7 I figured out if I cut the bottom off and put that at a angle I wont have to put such a steep bend in the tube smoother is better right

Here's how I did mine, I used a spectre inline air filter and a donaldson topspin prefilter
CIMG1089.jpg

CIMG1087.jpg

Back