• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control available on manual transmission models?

Sub Zero

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know if the manual transmission xj was available with cruise control? I'm thinking about adding factory cruise to my manual 94. I know with the automatics it's basically plug and play, it looks like the manual should be the same with the exception of the clutch switch. There is no switch on my clutch pedal to cancel the cruise when the clutch is depressed. I couldn't see a harness to connect a clutch switch but I may have missed it. Does anybody have any info that could help me out?

Yes, cruise control was available with a manual. My '96 with an AX15 has it.

I do not have any details regarding a clutch switch. I have never gone hunting for that.

Ditto on my 98. It does cut off when you clutch in, but I never do that since you'll get a little rev before the switch gets it. I tap the brake or use the cancel button.

Yes, cruise control was available with a manual. My '96 with an AX15 has it.

I do not have any details regarding a clutch switch. I have never gone hunting for that.

Does the cruise kick off when you push the clutch? 96 is the older bodystyle like mine and I think the harness should be pretty close

Or do you have to have the clutch pushed in to start it? If you do then you have a switch

Yes. Interestingly, I always floor the clutch to start, so I'm not sure if its the same switch. When I clutch in with cruise on, you don't have to depress it fully for CC to disable.

Interesting. Hopefully I can find all the cruise parts at my local JY and test it out. I'll update with results once I get everything hooked up

My 96 ax-15 does not require the clutch to be depressed to start.

Same here. I put the shifter in neutral and then start without depressing the clutch. In theory that is easier on the thrust bearings.

As mentioned by asymptonic, the engine will rev if an attempt is made to shift while cruise control is engaged. CC will then disengage. For all I know there is not a switch, but rather the computer senses the sudden climb in RPMs and then disconnects the CC.

Same here. I put the shifter in neutral and then start without depressing the clutch. In theory that is easier on the thrust bearings.

As mentioned by asymptonic, the engine will rev if an attempt is made to shift while cruise control is engaged. CC will then disengage. For all I know there is not a switch, but rather the computer senses the sudden climb in RPMs and then disconnects the CC.

I was actually just discussing this idea with a buddy. I've never seen a CC system work like that but hopefully it's ran through the computer like you said. I guess the only way to know for sure is to hook it up and see if it works.

Oh, interesting theory. Computer would have to check the throttle too, because I've definitely floored it to pass with CC on and it stays on.

Back