• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips on removing a 231

x*BIGASSALEX*j

NAXJA Forum User
I need to swap out my 231 for a new (to me) 231. I have removed all bolts to the driver side, however the one on top is also being a BIA BIA! Now where I need some advice or experiance tips is on the passenger side of the Tcase...

I have wobble sockets, crows feet and this fawker wont budge... any ideas of how to get this suker off? Anything will help. I have searched on NAXJA and Pirate for picture threads and no luck, if anybody has pics that would be appreciated.

Alex

You need to drop the case down to give yourself a little room to work, use a very stubby 9/16" wrench; ratcheting would be the best if you can find it.

Also, dumb question, but if you've removed the tc crossmember, are you supporting the trans with anything
No support + that nut being the only one left = its going to be hard to turn.

I did this last weekend, what i did was of course remove the transfer/tranny cross member, had a jack under the transmission pan, and lowered the tranny down, had to remove the linkage bar on the driver side as it bind and hold everything up. I had enough room where i could get a wrench up in there and turn it.

Are you going from the same year transfer or what?

You need to drop the case down to give yourself a little room to work, use a very stubby 9/16" wrench; ratcheting would be the best if you can find it.

Also, dumb question, but if you've removed the tc crossmember, are you supporting the trans with anything
No support + that nut being the only one left = its going to be hard to turn.

Drop it down? I only see it being held at the tranny? and the drivelines. Or am I missing an obvious bracket?

No I have not removed the cross member, I just trying to unscrew the tcase.. would be easier to remove that crossmember too?

I did this last weekend, what i did was of course remove the transfer/tranny cross member, had a jack under the transmission pan, and lowered the tranny down, had to remove the linkage bar on the driver side as it bind and hold everything up. I had enough room where i could get a wrench up in there and turn it.

Are you going from the same year transfer or what?

Ok I can try that.. Didnt think of it, cuz the one we took it off we didnt drop the tranny or remove the crossmember... yea I have an 87 and the new Tcase is of a 88

Just did it this weekend. Put a couple of 2x4s on a jack, support the motor from the oil pan. Then remove cross member. Slowly lower the jack until the motor / tranny / t-case is barely supported by jack. Then reach in from the passenger side (passed the exhaust) with a stubby 3/8" ratchet with a long 9/16" six point socket OR use a ratcheting 9/16" wrench. Have a drip pan ready (tranny will leak because of the angle when T-case is removed).

Cool! I wasnt thinking.. sometime it happens to me.. I will try that tonight..

Thx

A starter wrench is the perfect tool for this.

carefull with the shifter linkage bar, it will bind and putting that much weight could cause it to get messed up. Definitely want to drop the crossmember

Its the one the linkage uses to pivot, it is a little rod that goes between the tranny tunnel to the transmission

Back