• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke belt tensioner bolt......

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I figured i would do this, but i broke the big long 15mm tensioner bolt for the belt......it snapped in half right at the idler pulley, but the pulley is still held tight by the other end

what all do i need to go buy now? lol

it doesn't seem like i'll need a whole new ps pump bracket but ya never know.....

Fred85 said:
I figured i would do this, but i broke the big long 15mm tensioner bolt for the belt......it snapped in half right at the idler pulley, but the pulley is still held tight by the other end

what all do i need to go buy now? lol

it doesn't seem like i'll need a whole new ps pump bracket but ya never know.....

That's the first time I heard of someone breaking that bolt.
What year XJ?

It's a 13 mm socket, right?

You said "I figured i would do this"
Why? Were you pounding it with your sledgie?
Got a salvage yard near you?

That's cause i'm an idiot.......lol

anyway, nope a 15mm bolt

i just can't tell if i need to get a new idler pulley or a new power steering pump bracket, and i'm not sure if the new bolt comes any of those

Fred85 said:
That's cause i'm an idiot.......lol

anyway, nope a 15mm bolt

i just can't tell if i need to get a new idler pulley or a new power steering pump bracket, and i'm not sure if the new bolt comes any of those

What year? engine?

whoops, sorry.............2001, 4.0

i made the mistake of not loosening the idler pulley bolt before i tried to tighten the belt and i snapped the belt tensioner bolt, i guess it slipped my mind to loosen the idler pulley bolt

i'm worried i'm not gonna be able to find that long bolt anywhere

PM me your email address and I'll try to better help you. Or just call the dealer. P/N for the bolt is 6503198. If you also need the collar that the bolt goes into, it's p/n 53010149.

I broke the collar part on mine.

I changed the belt and went to tighten it. The threads on the bolt, near the head, were rusted and it went into the collar and split it.

Now I just use a pry bar between the PS body and engine and tighten the bolts. Seems to be working so far with no problems.

Broke the tightening collar myself the same way...
Kejtar with his master welding skills took two nuts and welded them together, I think it is stronger than the original.

Back