• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 VS 242 and a sad, funny story

Many people prefer the 231( I disagree with the reasons why) but anyway it's a popular swap. I have one available if you wanna trade

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Size is justification enough IMO depending on your goals. Also if running an auto locker in the front the full time option is no longer viable on the pavement. Both reasons why I made the swap

Size is justification enough IMO depending on your goals. Also if running an auto locker in the front the full time option is no longer viable on the pavement. Both reasons why I made the swap

I've read this before - just to clarify - by "auto locker" you mean something NOT switchable, like a Detroit or something?

When did that show up? When I needed a 242 SYE two years ago I was told Tom Woods was the exclusive distributor of the AA 242 HD SYE kit. I have it in mine. There was never any doubt that AA made it, just that back then TW was supposedly the exclusive distributor of it.
It has not been very long that AA has had this. Maybe 1.5-2 years

I'm sure he means non-selectable (Detroit, etc).

Makes sense - I have an ARB to go up front and would have hated for it to not work right. :rtm:

If you decide to grab a 231 (which I think is the way to go), the Denver U Pull always has them. Sometimes just laying in the yard. They are normally $100. Next Sunday the 17th, everything will be half off.

They are pretty indestructible. The first XJ I bought had like 400k miles, and a 231 with a chain so loose it had worn through the case and let all the fluid out. The whole case was filed with dirt because it had been without lube so long. Worked more or less fine. So I wouldn't hesitate to get a junkyard 231.

Paul

If you decide to grab a 231 (which I think is the way to go), the Denver U Pull always has them. Sometimes just laying in the yard. They are normally $100. Next Sunday the 17th, everything will be half off.

They are pretty indestructible. The first XJ I bought had like 400k miles, and a 231 with a chain so loose it had worn through the case and let all the fluid out. The whole case was filed with dirt because it had been without lube so long. Worked more or less fine. So I wouldn't hesitate to get a junkyard 231.

Paul

Thank you for the advice!! :cheers:

Back