• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What causes "crank walk" to occur?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

A year ago I picked up a '91 Cherokee with a 4.0 and an automatic transmission.

It ran great for six months, but then I realized the crank was walking back and forth about 3/8"-1/4", sending the pulleys out of alignment and making a huge racket.

I've heard you can get crank walk by riding the clutch, but this is an automatic.

I'm pretty much at a loss for being able to explain what happened, and I am worried about it occurring again once I put in a new motor. Could the tranny/t-converter/flex-plate be responsible in some way? Or was it something else?

Thanks for your help

The only way you can have excessive end play is if the thrust bearing is toast and that is caused by wear or possibly something not installed correctly!

3/8"-1/4" sounds like more play than a worn thrust bearing. I think you would have to completely eliminate that bearing and then some in order to get that much play.

Have you checked the balancer itself? Could it be loose on the crank? Or perhaps the outer rim loose on the center?

3/8"-1/4" sounds like more play than a worn thrust bearing. I think you would have to completely eliminate that bearing and then some in order to get that much play.

Have you checked the balancer itself? Could it be loose on the crank? Or perhaps the outer rim loose on the center?

Actually I put in a new balancer thinking that was the problem. That's when I realized the whole crank is shifting back and forth. :eeks1:

Crank shaft thrust bearing? Isn't that part of the rear most crank main bearing? If that is so then both front and rear lips (sides) are only about 1/8" thick, iirc. Assuming that is true, it mean both front and rear lips are gone to allow 1/4" of movement,....or is it possible to put a bearing in that do not have the lips on both sides? :dunno:

Sounds like time to pull the pan and figure out what is going on.

I can't imagine any way around it.

It should be the middle bearing that's the thrust bearing, and it is pretty thick. there is the possibility of a torque converter ballooning under pressure, and basically forcing the crank into the thrust bearing the same as a clutch would. I agree before anything is done a pan drop is in order.

Yes the thrust bearing is the middle bearing!

Is it possible that the engine is not original to your XJ?

I just went out and looked.

My Jeep was built 5/91.

Engine reads: I09MX27

Not sure what an "I" indicates. Trying to find some info on that. I'm assuming it means "1". If so, that I think it would mean the engine was built after the XJ.

Last edited:
There is a cast date on the driver side, toward the back, just above the ribs that run the length of the block.

When I pulled the engine out of my '90, the block had a cast date in 1991. ;)

Yes the thrust bearing is the middle bearing!

Thanks for the info. :cheers:

I have been in there once and that was in 2001 to change a rear main seal.

Your thrust bearing is shot.
Down and dirty quick fix is drop the pan and put new bearings in it. Keep in mind this is not the correct way to fix this.
The bottom end should be gone through since all the bearing surfaces are probably full of metal from the thrust bearing

Last edited:
Back