• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 point seat harness

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
How do you guys hook up 5 point seat harness? I mean where to you hook up the top 2 sholder straps? Keep in mind that i don't have a roll cage. Any info or pics on this matter would help. thanks

etaniyani said:
How do you guys hook up 5 point seat harness? I mean where to you hook up the top 2 sholder straps? Keep in mind that i don't have a roll cage. Any info or pics on this matter would help. thanks

If you don't have a roll cage, I'm not sure if a harness is such a good idea: In case you roll and the roof starts to cave in, your body is not going to move anywhere and you will end up wearing sheetmetal permanently :( Could prove bad for your health.

etaniyani said:

you DO NOT hook up the shoulder straps.........doing so will result in a back injury and or damage to the seat back if any type of crash ........
the only time you should use the shoulder harness is with a roll cage with a cross bar going behind your shoulders....... if you mount them to the floor and crash the front into another object; the forward force of your body moving forward will be diverted into downward pressure compressing the spine and possibly rupturing a vertebrae or worse.........

Ya i heard about the back crushing thing from The show Trucks. I meant is there any way to mount like a 3/16" 2"x2" square tubing from behind driver to behind passanger mounting the the piller arms of the jeep? has that been done? Or is the only real practical way to do it is with a roll cage?

IMHO if you're doing anything crazy enough to require a 5 point seat harness, shouldn't you already have a roll cage?

I guess part of me wants the belts for the coolness factor, but at the same time i think if i were to get into a serious accident on road it could save my life. My problem with a roll cage is that i don't know how to build one with out destroying the interior. Like how can i weld inside with all the roof interior? Or how can i paint it? Does anyone have pics of their 5 point attached to their roll cage?

etaniyani said:
but at the same time i think if i were to get into a serious accident on road it could save my life.
Without a cage, the harness will do more harm then good!! In regards to cages, there are places that offer kits (I saw one recently discussed here on tech, can't remember name though) and you can also find a local fab shop and talk to them.....

etaniyani said:
I guess part of me wants the belts for the coolness factor, but at the same time i think if i were to get into a serious accident on road it could save my life. My problem with a roll cage is that i don't know how to build one with out destroying the interior. Like how can i weld inside with all the roof interior? Or how can i paint it? Does anyone have pics of their 5 point attached to their roll cage?

Without a full cage, I wouldn't even consider harnesses, cool or not. You will be much safer using the standard lap/ shoulder belts. However, with a cage I believe 5 points are much safer.

Here's a couple shots of how I mounted mine.

Cargo_2.sized.jpg

Seats.sized.jpg

-Jon

Back