• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

advice 8000 vs 10000lb winch

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

im looking to add a winch in the near future. Ive been looking at synthetic options mostly warn vr, superwinch tiger........ maybe a steel cable then convert to synthetic.

if you have any pros cons for synthetic vs steel line other than safety i am all ears as well.

*Mostly I would like your opinion on the power/ safety of the winches power so Im not to over stress the xj with too big of a winch.
is 8000 too little is 12000 lbs ridiculous.........

thank you for your help

If you can afford, greater weight pull is better. Good quality synthetic is lighter, durable, and less dangerous if it does break.

I had a 12K Warn on Gomer when I bought it. Replaced it with a 9000 lb? Powerplant and replacement bumper, and gained 1" lift on the front end.

125' of 3/8" steel cable is not light. I went with 100' of 3/8" nylon rope on the replacement. Carry a Warn recovery kit, which includes extensions.

Personally, I'd consider an 8000 pound winch with less line, such as 75'. You'd end up with approximately the same pull strength as a 10,000 pound winch with 100' of cable, due to the additional wraps on the spool, for the same amount of line spooled out. It's easy to extend when you need.

At the very least, go with synthetic rope. Weight, strength, lack of wire splinters in your hands (yes, I had gloves, but they're less effective when they have holes in them :gee:). Just consider protecting the rope from UV exposure.

David Bricker / SYR - ITO

I think the workout you plan on giving it depends too. If you go with a smaller unit and use it less, it would be best. However if your plans are to rely on the winch every time you wheel I would go with a slightly larger unit so as not to overwork it too much. The heavier winch will not struggle as much and will likely last longer. I can not way in on the rope vs. cable as all I have ever used is cable.

synthetic is great, but cable works too. It's on my upgrade list but pretty far down. When the cable gets rusty and won't uncoil properly, I'll replace it. Until then it works. I spray wd40 on the cable couple times a year trying to keep corrosion to a minimum.
Got a 10k on mine. Like having the extra capacity. Although I very very rarely use it. Was one of my first upgrades. I don't regret it, it just doesn't get used as much as I thought it would.
make sure you do bumper and "frame" tie ins. yanked mine off at Bridgeport

I think the workout you plan on giving it depends too. If you go with a smaller unit and use it less, it would be best. However if your plans are to rely on the winch every time you wheel I would go with a slightly larger unit so as not to overwork it too much. The heavier winch will not struggle as much and will likely last longer. I can not way in on the rope vs. cable as all I have ever used is cable.
Agree!

There was a discussion of the Harbor Freight winches on another board. Out of curiosity, I looked at the electrical draw for both winches. The 12,000 pound winch drew less Amps at a higher work load, than the 9,000 lb winch drew at the top of it's rated capacity.

I wonder if the winches listed by the OP publish current draw at specific working loads.

I was almost being killed when my uncle broke a steel winch cable, pulling out a stuck car.
The hook broke free, sending the cable flying rearward, through the Jeep's windshield and out the back window, missing both my uncle and myself.
Scared the s... out of both of us.
I will only run synthetic cable, it is so much safer.

The harbor freight winches from what i have read work great. I just picked up a 12,000 one myself. There's only a $20 price difference from the 9k if you use a coupon. I used mine the next day and had no issues. Synthetic line will be on the list when time comes. Side by side comparison of weight, the 12k felt lighter than the 9k when i picked both up in store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

im sold on the synthetic line. as im researching options it seem a lot of the cost will be associated with line speed.

how practical is this for me so far as buying a warn vr/ superwinch tigershark or something similar.

i just want a safe winch that will surely get me unstuck and not blow up.

From my research, it appears the 9000 to 12000 lbs winches have the same motor so at free load they will draw the same amount of amps. However, the 12000 lbs unit have a much deeper gear ratio. That is the reason the amp draw at high load is lower for the bigger winch verses the lower rated winch,...it is like trying to start your XJ moving in 4th gear verses 1st gear.

I have seen some where before that the rule of thumb for a suitable winch is suggested at (1 1.5) one and a half the weight of your rig. The early XJ that had a factory winch installed were 6000 lbs units.

Just some food for thought.

I was almost being killed when my uncle broke a steel winch cable, pulling out a stuck car.
The hook broke free, sending the cable flying rearward, through the Jeep's windshield and out the back window, missing both my uncle and myself.
Scared the s... out of both of us.
I will only run synthetic cable, it is so much safer.

Damn! I would be in the fetal position for weeks after that.

This is exactly why I love shackles, or safety clasp type hooks. I've seen the downsides of hooks first hand in a fab shop too many times.

I personally have only seen the double weight rule. 4k rig equals 8k winch. I looked at the HF winches,but in the end couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd rather buy a winch I know I can depend on than a HF that might work when I need it most. If you got the time, I watched CL for a few months and picked up an almost unused warn for a good price.

I personally have only seen the double weight rule. 4k rig equals 8k winch. I looked at the HF winches,but in the end couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd rather buy a winch I know I can depend on than a HF that might work when I need it most. If you got the time, I watched CL for a few months and picked up an almost unused warn for a good price.

yeah ive been trying that rout for a good while with no change in the markets offerings, oh well.

a reputable brand seems like a good bet and im feeling better at looking for an 8--10000lb winch rather than 10-12000lb.

how practical is this for me so far as buying a warn vr/ superwinch tigershark or something similar.
When you get down to choosing brand A, B, or C, shop for replacement parts. I rehabbed the electric motor on a Superwinch product because replacements were not available. Had I not been able to pull that off, the owner would have had to buy another new winch.

im sold on the synthetic line. as im researching options it seem a lot of the cost will be associated with line speed.

i just want a safe winch that will surely get me unstuck and not blow up.

Synthetic line is strong and light however it is advised to not let it lay in dirt/silt or rub it on rocks or trees. A steel cable should be treated the same manor however they can last longer in those conditions.

A warn V/R is a good entry winch. Superwinch also has a great reputation. I got my VR8000 at 4wheelparts with a $75 mail in rebate. I believed it was a good deal. I don't do mud so my only two pulls have been less than 5 yards which involved getting dragged over rocks that were way too big to for my 35s to get over.

I have seen more winch failures occur at the solenoid box than at the gears or motor of the actual winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

synthetic is great, but cable works too. It's on my upgrade list but pretty far down. When the cable gets rusty and won't uncoil properly, I'll replace it. Until then it works. I spray wd40 on the cable couple times a year trying to keep corrosion to a minimum.
Got a 10k on mine. Like having the extra capacity. Although I very very rarely use it. Was one of my first upgrades. I don't regret it, it just doesn't get used as much as I thought it would.
make sure you do bumper and "frame" tie ins. yanked mine off at Bridgeport

What type of bumper connections did you have when it failed and yanked the bumper off? Most bumpers sold commercially have the 3 bolts per side configuration.

all opinions and wisdom needed here please: im narrowing a few options

1. smittybilt x20 10000 218:1/12000lbs 6.6hp, 265:1 line speed 549$=649$
lifetime mechanical, 5 yr electrical warranty
2. warn VR8-s 216:1 $669.00/VR10-S 261:1 $769.00 both HP n/a i guess limited lifetime warranty what ever that equals
3. superwinch tiger shark 9500 218:1 5.2HP 593$/ 11500 218:1 5.0- 6HP (mixed reviews) 742$

im open to suggestions, i would love to spend 1000+ on usa made but i want gears/ lockers and need to be practical on price/function.

Last edited:
Back