• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting stock 2wd to stock 4wd

tykby3

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm a noobie and I need some help figuring out how and what I need to modify and/or buy to convert to 4 wheel drive. I do know that I need front axle assembly, both drive shafts, transfer case, tail shaft for trans and 4wd extension housing for the trans. My questions arise when it comes to if stock 4wd stuff will work with some stock 2wd stuff ex. brakes, suspension, steering, so on and so forth.

You must search, young Padawan.

That said, I'm about to do the same...here are the Cliff's Notes:

You CAN convert a 2wd transmission to 4wd, but it involves a complete teardown of the transmission - you can't just swap tail shafts. Just buy a 4wd tranny and see your 2wd.

All brakes, suspension, steering, etc will swap right over.

you are right: you will need the 4wd trans, transfer case, drive shafts, and front axle. but you will also need the tc shift linkage including the handle and the trim piece that goes on the center console.

You CAN convert a 2wd transmission to 4wd, but it involves a complete teardown of the transmission - you can't just swap tail shafts. Just buy a 4wd tranny and see your 2wd.

...and for as cheap as you can find good used AW4s the time to rebuild a 2WD into a 4WD just isn't worth it.

I converted mine from 2wd to 4wd. Not as hard as you think. Find a D30 (left hand or driver side drive), AW4 from 4wd Cherokee (similar year as your vehicle is best) with the 231 J transfer case. As for t-case shifter, I went with what Novak was selling. They have a better linkage now (a cable).

Have fun and good luck.

KJ

Connect the transfer case to the transmission and lift them into position as one unit if possible. Getting to the bolts that mount the transfer case to the aw4 once in place can be a real pain.

thanks guys, i figured a lot of the stuff was the same, i was mainly worried about the trans. I've been planning this swap for a couple years and I'm now the position where I can start to do it. Have any of you that have done this had any problems with parts from different year models, I've read somewhere that '96 has different spline count than other years. My other question is would any driveshaft work or do I have to get one for a Chrysler 8.25?

Last edited:
your vehicle's year would help a lot. Many things (transmissions, brakes, driveshafts, transfer cases, etc) depend on year of vehicle.

the 96 difference isn't spline count, there are other differences there. mid-90 or 90 to 91 was the transmission spline count change.

yeah... but what year is yours?

We can give you a lot more specific info if we know exactly what year yours is. Some adjacent years are completely incompatible, for instance if you have a 98 automatic and you buy a 97 donor you are wasting your money, and a 95 donor for a 96 or later or vice versa will not be ideal but will work.

Most interesting.

Howdy, folks. Just joined. Sought for info forever, until bumped into this forum.

Got an XJ '99, 4.0l (no ABS) she's my baby, but it pains me it's not a 4x4 (back then was in a hurry to get it, so...).

I understand if I get the front axle assembly, plus transmission transfer case, front shaft plus interior trimming (extra shifter etc), it should go ok, or do I need to fiddle with the ECU, etc? If so, a same year swap from a 4x4 model would do, I suppose?

What are the success stories, and the horror ones as well? I'm looking for what I can expect to deal with.

thats what i'm trying to figure out w/ my '96, i've been planning this for a while but wanted to know what i was getting into before i get started.

Guys could I buy an axle and driveshafts out any year or does it need to be close to '96. I've sourced a 96 trans and t-case from a buddy who's parting his out, got to him to late to get everything else

Trans could have come from any 91 to 96 and even 97s with minor work, tcase from any 96 to 01.

For the remaining stuff: front shaft from any auto 4.0 87-99, rear shaft from any auto 4.0 with the same rear axle as yours 96-01, front axle any auto 4.0 87-01 but 95-99 auto 4.0 and 92-94 auto 4.0 with abs are the best. For things to look nice get the 4x4 linkages and handle off your friend's 96, or any 87-96 4x4 auto 4.0.

Trans could have come from any 91 to 96 and even 97s with minor work, tcase from any 96 to 01.

For the remaining stuff: front shaft from any auto 4.0 87-99, rear shaft from any auto 4.0 with the same rear axle as yours 96-01, front axle any auto 4.0 87-01 but 95-99 auto 4.0 and 92-94 auto 4.0 with abs are the best. For things to look nice get the 4x4 linkages and handle off your friend's 96, or any 87-96 4x4 auto 4.0.

I thought about putting the 97-up center console in mine which includes buying e-brake handle, 4x4 handle and linkages, possibly gear selector for trans (they look taller than the 96-down), and whatever else that needs to go with it.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, the entire auto-transmission must be swapped, then, along with its rear shaft, right? Someone (dubious, I know) had mentioned to me the transfer case could be ADDED or rather swapped?

faraiwe - well, depends on how much time and money you want to spend...
To swap just parts in the tranny, you have to fully disassemble it, since the output shaft of the transmission is the about the first part to go in while assembling it, and last to come out when disassembling. Parts that have to be swapped include the output shaft, the tailhousing/4wd adapter housing, and some other minor parts associated with it. Once you tear a tranny down that far you'll probably have to replace most of the seals, and you might as well do the clutches and bands too while you're in there. If you want to do a full rebuild while converting to 4wd, it's a great idea, otherwise it's cheaper and easier to just toss a 4wd transmission in the jeep. The other downside is that you will have to fully disassemble the donor transmission to get the output shaft out, so you're going to end up spending a lot of time on it.

With AW4s in good shape selling for 20-200 dollars (I've seen everything in between, a friend got a pair for 20 bucks and they sell for 120 at my local yard, I've picked up two for 50-75 each myself) it simply isn't worth the time and hassle to convert one instead of replacing it, especially seeing as you have to take the parts out of what is probably a perfectly good 4wd unit. If you have a broken 4wd unit, a good 2wd unit, and a lot of time, it can be a good idea.

Wait. Sorry if I sound confused, because I am =)

So, I CAN simply slap a new transmission in there, avoiding the messy business of opening a tranny (I hear it's baaad karma), or I CAN'T, and there is no way around tearing the transmission anyways? If at all possible, I'd like to avoid opening a transmission unit. I've seen the schematics, and they look like a bomb went off in a gear factory.

I was under the impression I could remove the tailhousing and add the transfer case, swap the shafts, add the front axle assembly, and the accoutrements then be done (simplifying it, but there). For illustration purposes:
%21CFFCyUQBmk%7E$%28KGrHqR,%21lwE1F6W4IkKBNT+v3MozQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

This would be the auto transmission with the transfer case, my desired end-state. My question is, I could add the transfer case or better to just get this entire thing and install it as it is (swap fluids and seals) on the jeep?

I know I am sounding "newbie thinks it's lego", but I want to make sure I got the picture clear before I potentially fn0rk up my favorite ride.

When you said "AW4" = "4x4 model transmission unit"? I am not into the lingo yet. I'm currently at the "look at numbers stage", and hunting for parts, etc. I need a more complete list first, of course. I have seen - online - some front axle assly going for under $500, but there seems to be a scarcity of transfer cases.

P.S.: my refs here are the Haynes Repair Manual #50010

Last edited:
Back