• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard to install cruise control?

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 XJ does not have cruise control. I really miss it for those long rides up to northern Michigan. How hard would it be to install cruise control? What would i need other than a donor steering wheel and the cruise control unit under the hood? Would wires already be in place in the steering column? Has anuone done this before?

-the unit under the hood + the cable to the throttle
-the buttons and panel from another steering wheel
-cruice control equipped clockspring for additional buttons to plug into

reference this for the clockspring/airbag removal:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90096 deja vu...

-i've done this on a '00. Worth it for those +1,000 mile drives.

Last edited:
Very easy on my 95 XJ, about one hour max. Airbag was no problem so long as you disconnect the battery and unscrew the arming screw. If you're really scared of the bag, you can work on it from outside the window or from the passenger seat. Totally plug and play if you get the kit from Jeepasaurus. Only special tool was a steering wheel puller and they rent them for free from AZ.

One of the best mods I've done, makes long AND short trip easier, especially if you like to speed.

caspergotaz28 said:
If $300 is a little steep to you, I bet you can pull all the parts from a yard for a lot cheaper and it's real quick and easy to pull the parts, only about four major parts total. Having installed a cruise recently, I wish I had done it that way. Just make sure you pull it from the exact same year because there are big difference between one year and the next.

Not hard to do as said try to get the same year as yours though I have been told 99 was a transition year for a lot of system changes. I know 97 (mabye 96)-98 are interchanable, and 00/01 are the same, but I'm not shure on the 99's. IIRC the only difference in the years is in the switches and clockspring. The air bags from at least 97 on are electronic (no arm/disarming screw to mess with) so all that is needed to disarm them is to disconect the battery, wait a few minutes, and you can go to town. Just use some common sense caution, and you won't have any problems. IMHO I would do the install on a humid day to help ward off any static electricity that may increase the chance of accedental deployment.

jeepdeepfreak said:
Don't forget about the brake switch and or clutch switch.....I also recall a vacuum switch under the dash near the brake switch also.
Mike all of that stuff is already there on the newer XJ. All he will need is the clockspring, switches, and vaccume accuator under the hood. The cruse is controled by the CPU, basicly a plug, and play dealer installed option.

Back