• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj transfer case options??

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
Long story short, shift linkage bent, ended up driving some pavement in 4x4 without knowing until it popped the tcase.

So I'm curious what options will be a bolt in replacement for a 98 xj 4.0 AW4 np242. Already had an sye on it, so prefer something that will work with my driveshaft.

Been looking at the rubicon 241 tcases for obvious reasons. Downside is of course cost $$. Are there specific years that fit?

Other options? Dakota? Grand cherokee?

I haven't opened it yet, but it has a loud rotational clunking under acceleration or deceleration. Quiet while purely coasting. This is after getting under it to pry the linkage back to 2wd.

Judging by the sound, I'm guessing some major failure inside. I will likely pull it apart and post pics in this thread when I get the time.

Are you sure its fully in 2WD? after installing my 3 link the cross member raised my Tcase enough for my shift linkage to need adjusting. I havent adjusted it yet, but I hear grinding on hard acceleration, which im fairly certain is due to it not having full travel between 2 Hi and 4Hi.

Although reading through your post again you have a 242 while I have a 231. Was your 4WD stuck in 4WD part time? in 4WD full time you shouldnt have damaged anything as its basically AWD

Minor update, picked up a 241 case from a rubicon. Installed last night. Everything is basically bolt in with 2 issues. First the speedo drive doesn't exist on my new case...ooops. Second, driveshaft needs to grow about 4 inches. I'll update again with some pics as soon as I get the old case opened up

How did driving on pavement in 4wd destroy the t-case?
In part-time 4WD the front and rear driveshafts are locked together which means front and rear ring gears are locked together and spinning the same rate. Driving in a straight line the front and rear wheels spin at the same speed so not a problem but when you turn a corner the front wheels travel a longer arc which requires them to rotate faster relative to the rear. In part-time 4WD they cannot spin faster, so something has to give. In dirt/gravel/snow/loose terrain the wheel usually breaks traction and spins. On dry pavement there is too much traction and the wheel can't spin, maybe it will hop, or maybe the chain in the transfer case will stretch, or maybe the driveshaft will break, or maybe the transfer case will split open.

Minor update, picked up a 241 case from a rubicon. Installed last night. Everything is basically bolt in with 2 issues. First the speedo drive doesn't exist on my new case...ooops. Second, driveshaft needs to grow about 4 inches. I'll update again with some pics as soon as I get the old case opened up

What year is the case? I thought '03-'06 TJ ones were pretty much bolt-in, other than needing to change the plug. JK ones get their readings from the wheels, so there's no output housing for a speedo gear on the case itself.

A Rubicon case doesn’t have a slip yoke. Even though it’s going to cost you a little $$, a longer shaft is a good thing. It decreases the angle so less chance of vibrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would need a speedo gear on the shaft to drive the sender, so nothing unless you replace both the shaft and housing. Might check to see if you can find kits for the TJ NP241, look to see if they interchange with the JK 241

Back