• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle not center. How do I center it? Help

SofaKing

NAXJA Forum User
Short story I bought a used 2000 XJ with 4 & half inch lift. After I got home I noticed the front sway bar links were bent like pretzels. I assumed it was from Wheeling. I bought a set of swaybar link disconnect style. While trying to install the new swaybar disconnects links. I found that the whole front axle is off-center. So the swaybar link disconnects are far apart on the driver side looking angled in. While the passenger side is super close and doesn't have enough clearance to disconnect and move up. Even the front coil springs are not in straight. My question is is there a way to center the front axle better in the XJ so things lined up correctly? I will try to post pictures later.:eek:

PHP:

you need to adjust the trackbar.

pics of your suspension and front end would help.

Add an adjustable track bar to correct. It is possible to re-drill your axle end track bar mount but a good adjustable track bar does the best job to center the axle properly.

I would also not be so sure to assume the links are bent.....some model year factory links (like mine) are made with bends in them.

Measurements and pictures would be very helpful.

a>

If you see or can get a link for your pics use/copy link between . (add bracket befor the slash) /img]

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

you are lifted way too high for a stock trackbar.

buy yourself a quality double shear unit and get rid of that axle side drop bracket.

something like this one.
https://www.claytonoffroad.com/jeep_adjustable_front_trackbar_wbracket_1984_2001_xjzj

you should really also invest in a set of Control Arm Drop brackets or Longarms. youre lifted pretty high for short arms. and stock ones to boot.

The guy I bought it from said it had 4.5" lift. Not ever owning an XJ in the past 18 years of driving. It's been a learning curve. It has aftermarket: coils springs, lower control arms, shocks, & ranch steering stabilizer up front. I believe add a leafs in the rear but not sure. And who ever put the lift in didn't put the longer shackles in the rear either.

I'm fixing a lot of things the previous owners did. So I'll add a new track bar to the list with the extended brake line and rear shackles.

The guy I bought it from said it had 4.5" lift. Not ever owning an XJ in the past 18 years of driving. It's been a learning curve. It has aftermarket: coils springs, lower control arms, shocks, & ranch steering stabilizer up front. I believe add a leafs in the rear but not sure. And who ever put the lift in didn't put the longer shackles in the rear either.

I'm fixing a lot of things the previous owners did. So I'll add a new track bar to the list with the extended brake line and rear shackles.

get rid of the stock upper control arms as soon as you can.
They like to fold.

go with something adjustable and add a set of drop brackets when you can, or some longarms if you want. .

Back