• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle nut

no need to disasemble the hub/axle to do ujoints, but it ya really want to its 36mm

<sigh> 36mm on the axle nut, 12pt 13mm on the hub bolts.

<sigh> 36mm on the axle nut, 12pt 13mm on the hub bolts.
i wouldnt sugest a 13mm as they fit to loosly and will easily strip the bolt, a 1/2 12pt works alot better it just needs to be hammered on sometimes

Never had a problem with a 13mm socket, even on a 1992 XJ with the original hubs (changed u-joints and axle shafts around 2003.)

Never had a problem with a 13mm socket, even on a 1992 XJ with the original hubs (changed u-joints and axle shafts around 2003.)
guess it depends on where youre at, things tend to rust alot in new england, one you touch the hub bolts most of it turns to powder:wierd:

guess it depends on where youre at, things tend to rust alot in new england, one you touch the hub bolts most of it turns to powder:wierd:

waiitttttt last time I checked when I touch hub bolts they didn't turn into him.....

powder.jpg

hahahaaaaa wacka wacka wacka

Likewise, even on never-touched New England stock hardware. In fact I always thought they were metric bolts, not sure why :dunno:

I'll have to try 1/2 next time.

Trust me, New England doesn't have a lock on rusty hardware.

Trust me, New England doesn't have a lock on rusty hardware.

x2, I live in the rust belt, northeastern OH, with a 23 year old Jeep. I've never stripped the head off one of the hub bolts with a 13mm socket.

I managed to break one in half with a breaker bar, but never rounded the head.

x2, I live in the rust belt, northeastern OH, with a 23 year old Jeep. I've never stripped the head off one of the hub bolts with a 13mm socket.

I managed to break one in half with a breaker bar, but never rounded the head.
Fears of this happening are why I carry 3-6 spare bolts in my trail kit, along with the spare shafts. Several of my bolts on the 96 let loose so suddenly that I expected them to be broken, but they weren't.

I also have a set of hub bolts in my trail spare box.

but that's mostly because on the trail I'll use the power steering to pop the hub, so if I jack it up I have spares.

Back