• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

neutral safety switch wiring diagram with wire colors

aquaholic

NAXJA Forum User
97 cherokee SE 4.0L AW4. i'm looking for a diagram that shows the wire colors that are coming out of the nss plug on the engine side. theres 2 plugs on the pass side of the engine in the rear. 1 looks like a 5 wire (the smaller one) and 1 looks like a 7 wire (the bigger one) that head down towards the tranny. i think the plug that goes to my nss is the bigger one but its cold here and my driveway is covered in about 4 inches of snow and ice and i really dont want to crawl under it and trace wire to see which one it is. so if you have a 97 please let me know. what i'm looking for is the wire colors that go into the plastic connector and attach to pins B and C. i'de like to tempoarily jump these two together so i can bypass the switch and move this pig into my garage to fix the nss permanently. theres a million posts on this topic and to my surprise none show pinnouts with the wire colors. at least that i could find. there also appears to be differing amounts of wires coming from this connector depending on the xj year.

Hallo. Why not making a jumpwire from the starterrelay?
The only thing that the NSS is doing to make contact with ground.
If you connect pin#86 from the relay to ground , you will bypass the NSS. :shhh:

i saw that diagram when doing my searches. unfortunately it shows no wire colors and is for a 92-95. since my nss is messed up now and my intention for this xj is to bog it, it's probably gonna get hosed up again and again when i dump it into a 34-36" mud pit. it would be much easier to tap the two wires at the nss harness plug and use a normally open momentary contact switch on the dash to override it if i need to (like now). soldering a wire to the starter relay spade terminal and trying to get the relay plugged back into the socket in the power distribution center and out of the plastic distribution center box isn't going to be as easy as it sounds. i'de prefer to just know what the wire colors are at the nss connection plug on top of the motor and do my splice out in the open.

Last edited:
The NSS in the 96 is a logic circuit and not like the older models. The shift switch sends infö back to the TCU and then to the PCU and the PCU allows the start relay to energize.
I've looked at the schematics and they are excerpts and not system schematics. More than little hard to follow.
This is the easiest I've found, but no telling what is going to happen if the logic circuit gets crossed up.

fnfm07.jpg

admittedly this is confusing as hell. the factory service manual shows the wiring harness that comes up to a 8 pin connector (gray plastic plug) near the firewall on the passenger side. my biggest issue at the moment is determining which of those 2 plastic plugs is the right one. when i look at them the smaller plug is a 6 pin plug/connector with 5 of the 6 pins used. the bigger connector/plug is a 7 pin (at least there's wires going to it) which i think is the one but determining which to wires are the B and C terminals is tough. i cant get that dam connector to come apart. looks like there's a thumb release on the top and some kind of clips on the right and left sides which it looks like i'm gonna have to invent some special tool to release. i'm gonna back out now and see if i can locate those black and brown/yellow tracer wires that your diagrams show.

That diagram may be a simplified system diagram that really doesn't vaguely resemble the actual system.
You may have better luck finding the Brown and yellow wire (ground for the relay) coming out of the Power distribution center. Like the Niederlander (hoppenbrouwers) suggested.

well i'm more confused now. i found what i think is a very light brown (tan really) wire with a yellow tracer but its not on the plug that i thought it would be on. heres a picture that shows what the plastic connector looks like but I DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING OF THAT SHAPE CONNECTOR ON MY 97 XJ???? wtf? i also dont know if i have the nuts to jump those two wire together until i'm sure i have the right connector. one is a 6 prong with 5 wires used and one is an 8 prong with 7 wires used thats a totally different shape than the one in the pic. any thoughts guys?

http://s328.photobucket.com/albums/l330/ncrsjudge/misc/?action=view&current=97XJ-pg375.jpg

Last edited:
your right, i may tear into that giant wire loom coming out of the bottom of the pdc and see if i cant find it there. i cant believe ithat i cant tell which of those 2 plugs is the one i need. maybe i'll just have to wait till it warms up and get under there and just tug on the dam wire leaving the nss and see which plug moves.

well i'm more confused now. i found what i think is a very light brown (tan really) wire with a yellow tracer but its not on the plug that i thought it would be on. heres a link to pg 375 of the 97 xj factory service manual that shows the plastic connector but I DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING OF THAT SHAPE CONNECTOR ON MY 97 XJ???? wtf? i also dont know if i have the nuts to jump those two wire together until i'm sure i have the right connector. any thoughts guys?

http://s328.photobucket.com/albums/l330/ncrsjudge/misc/?action=view&current=97XJ-pg375.jpg

Edit those links off before you get your peepee whacked.

Let me look a little deeper before you cut anything.

i'll wait. i'm in no great rush. my 2 plugs are a little different though. both of mine are gray. and one is noticeably larger than the other. is the one that your fingers are touching the one that goes to the nss? the reason i'm asking, is that its the one that does not have the brown with the yellow tracer. i also removed the reference to the fsm.

Last edited:
My bad, the wire color changed to white and black in 97. The drawing I have shows *no connector* between the starter relay ground and the NSS (gear selector switch).
But does show a connector between the starter relay ground (coil ground) on a separate wire from the same spot (coil ground) a Black and white wire going to the PCM (shift selector sense). Which likely tells the PCM when the shifter is in neutral or park.
Sorry again, assumptions will bite you in the rear most every time.

Last edited:
ok 8mud, you lost me on that last one. in that pic that timber has up, which of those two wires that are coming out of that plug do i want to jump together to fake out the pcm? for what its worth, the service manual shows that connector as a 8 pin and in reality, its a 6 with 5 pins being used.

Last edited:
ok 8mud, you lost me on that last one. in that pic that timber has up, which of those two wires that are coming out of that plug do i want to jump together to fake out the pcm? for what its worth, the service manual shows that connector as a 8 pin and in reality, its a 6 with 5 pins being used.

You don't have to jump anything you should be able to just ground the White and black wire (through a spring loaded switch). My schematic shows no connector between the starter relay coil ground and the NSS (selector switch) either it is an omition or the plug (C107?) you are looking at is for the black and white wire the goes to the PDC.

1zvtxcx.png

Last edited:
now we're getting somewhere. even though that switch is shown as black, thats what the dam thing looks like at least. this looks easier than ever now. i agree mcque. ground pin 7 which is the black wire with the white tracer and your good to start her up. incidently, that also jives with 8mud's diagram that doesn't really show the connector like yours does. how on earth did you find that post? i searched though tons of posts for hours without ever seeing that one.

i saw it. i read that post end to end twice. you guys are the greatest. these 2 posts should be combined into a sticky or something. with all the nss posts on this site that one you posted and this one have all the diagrams needed to make this a very simple process. i'm gonna do this work this week. this will at least hold me over till i go out to the local junkyard and pickup another nss. that way i can clean it up and install it and keep mine for a spare. and if all else fails and the nss get water/mud contaminated while i'm bogging, i'll still have my momentary pushbutton switch on the dash to get me by.

Last edited:
Back