• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing on original aluminum 5-spokes?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
5-star.jpg

Hey all,

Having a tough time finding the backspacing on the original 1987-93 aluminum 5-spokes.

• Was wondering if anyone knew what the backspacing was?
  • And should I expect any rubbing on the control arms with 31's running these wheels?

Thanks much.

Those are factory 15"x7" 5-star wheels with 5.25" BS. And yes, if you have no lift you will rub the LCAs at full turn. The cure is to install Jeep WJ lower control arms. An inch or two of lift would help too, but for a street rig you can get by w/o a lift.

Those are factory 15"x7" 5-star wheels with 5.25" BS. And yes, if you have no lift you will rub the LCAs at full turn. The cure is to install Jeep WJ lower control arms. An inch or two of lift would help too, but for a street rig you can get by w/o a lift.

Thanks, Comanche.

I have a about 2.5" of lift from OME. My goal is to build an "OEM+", super reliable, daily driven, trail-worthy XJ with zero funny stuff going on, such as rubbing at full lock.

Will I need the WJ LCA's?

Last edited:
Skip the WJ's and get some good adjustable's, Done!

Not sure if adjustables would be right for what I am doing, but I really have no experience with them?

Trying to keep it simple and reliable. I can see myself owning this XJ for the next 20 years at least and DD'ing it quite a bit.

I have the same OME coils with the same lift. The WJ LCAs are completely boxed in and stout, and the larger bushings provide much better handling than the crappy OEM XJ arms. They also provide plenty of room to adjust your caster using factory shims with 2-1/2" lift. You don't need adjustable LCAs. You also may need an adjustable trackbar to re-center your axle when you're done. I did.

You can temporally eliminate rubbing by adjust the steering stops, one is located on each side of the front axle.
Pull each bolt and add a washer or two under it until the rubbing is eliminated.
This will slightly reduce the turning radius but isn't really noticeable and should work until the lower control arms are replaced.

Back