• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Autolockers and a manual transmission DD

chickenbot

NAXJA Forum User
93 XJ AX15 NP231 D30HP C8.25

I'm looking to put lunchbox lockers in my DD but it a manual trans and was wondering if anyone out there has done the same or is it a bad idea. Should I just stick to doing it to 1 axle or is both ok?

What are wheeling? Do you need both locked? If not, I'd start with the front axle. It's not too noticeable on the street but a huge benefit on the trail. If you need more then do the rear but you will notice it a lot more and may have to adjust your driving style a little if it bugs you.

I have lunch box lockers in mine front and rear with an ax15. Lunch box lockers by design have 1/4 rotation of slop in them before the driveline engages. This basically forces me to coast through u turns on the road and in a parking lots or the jeep starts to buck like a mofo. Besides that it is do-able.

Lunchbox lockers were one of my most favorite upgrade. Do the front. If you need more traction then throw one in the back. The clicking and banging is normal until they "break in"

Better yet you decide they aren't for you, keep your old spider gears, and just take the locker out and put the spider gears back in.

If you get something like a Power-trax No-slip you won't have any noise!

I don't know what kind of wheeling yet. But I do want to be prepared for anything. Its looking like I should just start with the front. I'm looking at TORQ Locker TL-13027 Dana 30. Noise doesn't bother me because I just got with the old saying "to fix any noise in your car, just turn up the radio."

I was contemplating doing the rear axle first. 99 4.0 AX15 on 33s just figured offroad the rear being locked would help more. but im in the same boat with trying to decide.

I was contemplating doing the rear axle first. 99 4.0 AX15 on 33s just figured offroad the rear being locked would help more. but im in the same boat with trying to decide.

In general, if you only have one locker, the front is usually more beneficial!

It depends on the kind of wheeling you do. If like crawling on rocks the locker in the front is better because it helps you climb up on rocks. If you do a lot of steep hill climbs where the front unloads you’re better off having one in the rear where most of your weight is. On steep side hills a rear locker can make your rear slide down the hill if it’s slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Aussie locker in the front of my 96 with a 5 speed and daily drive it with out issue.
It is noisy and somewhat jerky on sharp turns.
I was real noisy off road but quieted down after about 1500 trial miles. I mainly do expedition stuff solo so I don't really beat on it to hard.

When money and time allow I am thinking about putting one in the rear. Might go tru trac though if I am feeling ambitious

Last edited:
I had a 93 XJ with an ax15 that I had Detroit Lockers in the front and rear, D30 front, C8.25 rear. I didn't notice it on the street with the front locker, but once the rear was installed it was definitely noticeable. I had to be careful on the highway around turns at speed, I had to maintain steady throttle. If I got on and off the throttle it wanted to go one direction or the other. You also notice it in parking lots and other places. I won't do a rear auto locker again with a stick shift and short wheel base on a DD.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back