• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 driver side key/lock sticks with key sometimes

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
i take it this is straight forward, but i havent run into the issue until now.

put the key in the door, and it does want to turn until after some wiggling.
tumbler sometimes to. original key or years past spare thats still new like.

new lock needed or is something else simply wrong?

If graphite doesn't work, its pretty easy to take the interior panel off, removing the lock cylinder, and clean it out thoroughly with carb cleaner, etc and use graphite or silicone spray on the inside. I did this on my '98 recently and its never been so smooth.

How bad does the key look? You'd be surprised at the wonders simply getting a freshly cut key can do.

Yes and no. If you have someone who can look at the key and cut the correct depths then yes. However most of the ones simply trace the key and will cut you a fresh worn out key.

With any key I always throw the original, or the one that came with whatever it goes to, on the key ring in the junk drawer. Whenever I need a copy made use that key. Thinking being is a copy made from a copy, made from a copy gets you to a point where that the key won't work anymore.

Back