• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Part 5

I received my Superlift Truspeed unit a few days ago. I installed the device yesterday, and wanted to provide an update.

Overall, the unit seems decent. From what I can tell, it’s a sealed plastic box with 4 wires coming through the side. 4 screws hold the two halves together. I imagine removing the sticker and the 4 screws would void the warranty, so no inside images. Final hit was a little over $200.

DSC_2328small25.JPG

I wanted to mount it somewhere where I could easily access it, I could keep it away from weather, and somewhere close to the front, so I would not have to run additional wiring. I chose to place it inside the panel underneath the steering wheel. This would allow me to mount my + / - somewhere behind the dash. Also, the wire I need to splice into could easily be accessed through the firewall, and into the engine bay.

DSC_2330small25.JPG

My 1997 XJ’s wire that runs from the sensor is WT/OR (White with an orange stripe). Knowing this wire routes to the PCM, and comes from the T-case; I was able to find the correct wire loom. You can see it in this image, to the left of my Viair compressor - The medium-sized loom, of the three present, with the split I made in it.

DSC_2332small25.JPG
DSC_2333small25.JPG

Cut, splice, solder, heat shrink wrap and tuck back in. For those who don’t know anything about this unit - the signal routes from the T-case into the Truspeed Recalibrator, out and back into the PCM. The green wire is the input from the sensor, and the yellow is the output to the PCM. Here it is all velcroed, cleaned up and what not.

DSC_2334small25.JPG

It’s really easy to adjust. I was able to determine my speedometer reading incorrectly by 15%. A quick few turns with the adjustment screw and it was back to normal. GPS and vehicle with correct speedometer reading comparisons prove my Jeep is now accurate.

:cheers:

Scott

Last edited:
Part 3
DSC_2286.jpg

Just an update.

The newer Jeep Cherokees have this same plug 2wd and 4wd. I think I got mine off a 2000 in order to swap the 241OR into my 94 XJ.

94 Cherokee wire colors:
Orange -------- +5v
Black/Blue ----- Sensor Ground
White/Orange -- Speed Sensor Signal

00 Cherokee wire colors:
Violet/Orange --- +5v
Brown/Yellow --- Sensor Ground
White/Orange --- Speed Sensor Signal

NV241OR Speed Sensor wire colors:
Red ----------- +5v
Black --------- Sensor Ground
Tan ---------- Speed Sensor Signal

Just an update.

The newer Jeep Cherokees have this same plug 2wd and 4wd. I think I got mine off a 2000 in order to swap the 241OR into my 94 XJ.

94 Cherokee wire colors:
Orange -------- +5v
Black/Blue ----- Sensor Ground
White/Orange -- Speed Sensor Signal

00 Cherokee wire colors:
Violet/Orange --- +5v
Brown/Yellow --- Sensor Ground
White/Orange --- Speed Sensor Signal

NV241OR Speed Sensor wire colors:
Red ----------- +5v
Black --------- Sensor Ground
Tan ---------- Speed Sensor Signal

Awesome, thanks for sharing that!

Scott

this is a great writeup! my 4:1 in the 231 has bit the dust and a guy on the trail had just pulled his 241or outta his jk (to put in an atlas behind his hemi, rough life) so i now have a 241or with only 4k miles. i got really excited when i found out its gunna be a direct bolt in, and how much stronger it is then the 231 (i loved my 4:1 so much, but keep hearing of them not lasting long, i got mine used and lasted me a year of good abuse)

question is, can i fix the speedo problem? because its now sounding like a rather large problem...

this is a great writeup! my 4:1 in the 231 has bit the dust and a guy on the trail had just pulled his 241or outta his jk (to put in an atlas behind his hemi, rough life) so i now have a 241or with only 4k miles. i got really excited when i found out its gunna be a direct bolt in, and how much stronger it is then the 231 (i loved my 4:1 so much, but keep hearing of them not lasting long, i got mine used and lasted me a year of good abuse)

question is, can i fix the speedo problem? because its now sounding like a rather large problem...

Need more info on your Jeep. Year, tranny etc?

Scott

I don't think the 241OR from a JK will work in an XJ with a 4.0L. Hopefully that is not what you have.

I don't think the 241OR from a JK will work in an XJ with a 4.0L. Hopefully that is not what you have.

Actually, yes they will. See below;

I know the JK uses a wheel speed sensor on the front axle. I also have a JK 241 case (non 4:1), and it will bolt right up to an XJ with no issues other than having no speedometer. Its basically a really beefy 231, with no speedo drive. The JK Rubicon 241 (with the 4:1) will work just the same as the TJ 241 in an XJ, except you wont have a speedo.

Not to big of a problem. Depending on the size of tire and gears your might be off by a couple of mile in speed. I am off 10 mile will traveling 65 not to bad. There are a couple off options to fix this problem but prices ranging from $70 - $250 I just don't worry about it too much right now since I only use the Jeep for off-roading.

Some option that I have found are:
The Yellow Box - http://yellr.com/index.htm
Heal Tech Electornics - http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
Dakota Digital - http://www.dakotadigital.com/
Superlift Truspeed - http://www.superlift.com/accessories/truspeed.asp

Not to big of a problem. Depending on the size of tire and gears your might be off by a couple of mile in speed. I am off 10 mile will traveling 65 not to bad. There are a couple off options to fix this problem but prices ranging from $70 - $250 I just don't worry about it too much right now since I only use the Jeep for off-roading.

Some option that I have found are:
The Yellow Box - http://yellr.com/index.htm
Heal Tech Electornics - http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
Dakota Digital - http://www.dakotadigital.com/
Superlift Truspeed - http://www.superlift.com/accessories/truspeed.asp

these all recalibrate the speedometer correct?

i am under the impression this jk case will not have a way to get the reading to my speedometer because jks are all digital right?

these all recalibrate the speedometer correct?

i am under the impression this jk case will not have a way to get the reading to my speedometer because jks are all digital right?

Not sure about the JK but the TJ rubicon tcase is digital output. I installed a 241OR on my 94 XJ and any of these will correct the speed problem.

Just got off the phone with JB conversions. they have these cases and all sorts of flanges/adapters/sensors for them.

he said he would have to tear into the case some in order to get the case converted to vss... estimated at 250$ worth of work. he didnt give me too much detail on what all needed done specifically...

Just got off the phone with JB conversions. they have these cases and all sorts of flanges/adapters/sensors for them.

he said he would have to tear into the case some in order to get the case converted to vss... estimated at 250$ worth of work. he didnt give me too much detail on what all needed done specifically...

Take a picture of the back of the tcase and post it. Not sure what it looks like. The 241or I have has a tone ring inside the rear tail output. When I bought my tcase I took it apart to inspect the internals so I know what it looks like.

Take a picture of the back of the tcase and post it. Not sure what it looks like. The 241or I have has a tone ring inside the rear tail output. When I bought my tcase I took it apart to inspect the internals so I know what it looks like.

You got it.

040600_104500.jpg

this has the stock output on it still. would have to be replaced with the 1310s (i think)

Does the Standard Speedo gear not work to correct the speedometer?

Not in this application, no. These have a tone ring that spins as the main shaft spins. This creates a signal that is interpreted electronically, and then sent to the vehicles computer. The "standard/typical" Speedo gear is mechanical, and will not work with these cases. The tone ring is located in this image, in the middle under the nut:

Tess.JPG

Look at the difference with the rear output:

DSC_2240.jpg

Most likely JB Conversion will sell you a new tail cone, tone ring, sensor and possibly yoke.

Possibly a new shaft as well? I don't know, it's hard to tell. It looks like they could be comparable in length with all that extra material on his yoke.

Scott

Last edited:
Look at the difference with the rear output:

DSC_2240.jpg

Most likely JB Conversion will sell you a new tail cone, tone ring, sensor and possibly yoke.

holy hell. i see what he was referring too now...

dangit. i was really looking forward to having this case in my jeep. i cant afford to put that much more into it :twak:

I know you can go to jeep to get your pcm reflashed if you have a tj with a 241OR in order to fix the speedo. I wonder if you can do the same with the newer XJ's?

Back