• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk/jerking when braking/accelerating on my new Jeep

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just bought a 1996 Country with only 63k miles. It's in great condition, and I'm 99% sure it's never been off road.

Whats happening is really hard to describe, sort of one of those "you have to be there" things, but I'll do my best.

When coming to a complete stop, like say at a traffic light, the Jeep sometimes will jerk slightly, right as you actually stop, and make sort of a clunking noise. It seems like it is coming from the rear end. It'll also do this when accelerating from a stop. I'll hear a clunking noise and feel a slight jerk, like some slack in the driveline is being taken up.

It happens about 50% of the time.

It's a 4.0 with an auto tranny.

I just had the brakes inspected and this problem is not related to them. Any idea what could be causing this?

Slop in the driveline that's taken up by the soft rear springs when you stop. Sometimes you can cut this down by greasing the slipjoint, but otherwise I don't know that it's ersolvable in stock configuration.

I dunno about that. I'm thinking it may be a U-joint or something. It also wobbles slightly in the rear end while moving at high speeds.

I am 99% sure what is happening is not normal, and definately shouldn't be happening.

Well I looked at all of the u joints and they appear to be fine. No play, but you can wiggle/turn both drive shafts from side to side, and up and down a little bit.

Took the rear pumpkin off, and everything looked OK in there too. Tranny mount appears to be OK.

What else could it be???

Do a search on this and you'll find that it is very common. Yucca-Man is correct about the springs and the slip joint. Also, rear brake adjustment can help. I grease the axle yoke splines, leaf springs, and adjust the rear brakes and it will go away for 3k miles or so. But it always comes back. Use the "silver" grease (I think Loc-tite makes it) as it does'nt disolve as fast. Very common complaint.

Drop the rear drive shaft,pull it off the TC out put shaft and coat the splines with Anti-sieze (silver grease ?) A small bottle is IIRC $6-7.00.Will be usefull on many items on your XJ.
HTH
Wayne

Well it's good to hear that it's normal! Can any damage result if I don't grease it immediately?

Also would a 3.5" RE Super Flex with the full leaf packs fix this?

Thanks!!

90Pioneer said:
Well it's good to hear that it's normal! Can any damage result if I don't grease it immediately?

Also would a 3.5" RE Super Flex with the full leaf packs fix this?

Thanks!!
No it wont cause any problems because mines been clunking for years for the record I cant lube the slip splines on mine I dont have any :D and it still does it I figure its slop in the drivetrain and the chain in the tc...
The re spring pack wont help but ill help your flex offroad :D ..
themud

Back