• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do the power door locks work?

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
I don't have my Haynes handy so I can't look up wiring diagrams right now... do the lock actuators have two wires that run to them which would hint that the current flows one direction to lock and flows the other direction to unlock?

If that is correct, is one wire tied to ground while the other wire cycles from +12 to -12, or are both wires are at 0V normally and one of the two wires will increase to +12V when the switch is pressed (i.e. one wire goes to 12V to lock and the other wire goes to 12V to unlock)? Or is there some other way that the power door locks are operated?

Long story short I am looking to use an aftermarket remote door lock/unlock/alarm system to activate/deactivate different things in my XJ. I want to know how the locks work before I order the alarm system so I know whether or not I should expect my idea to work. I am hoping that pressing the lock button would put a 12V signal out on one wire, while pressing the unlock button would put a 12V signal out on a 2nd wire.... but I figure it might work in a different way which would mean I have some more work ahead of me to get this plan to work. :dunno:

TIA
-Scott

hmmm, guess I have to do some digging to find my haynes and find the wiring diagram then to trace the signals back through the relays. Thanks!

Back