• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project CRD MJ is born:

Mr_Random said:
wooo, make me feel stupid, I got my abbreviations or whatever they're called COMPLETELY wrong...

I'm gonna go back and edit out all that post... haha

yay for idiotic misgivings! :confused1

Anyways, I love comanche's, I can't wait to see what you do with it! I don't remember seeing any plan for you to lift it after making it 4wd, going to go SOA?

...oh darn, time expired for editing, I'll suck it up and keep looking stoopid

Ya, not much option for ninja edits here, oh well, it happens to us all.

MiNi Beast said:
Look like you got a great idea there. New paint color later on I hope.:gag:

Yup, it will be PR4(Flame Red) with the Freedom Silverstars as seen here:
P8310258.JPG

P8310259.JPG

The truck looks clean. It should be a fun project and I can tell you already have a handle on the wiring aspects. I've always liked the 16" 5.9 limited wheels and almost got a set. I went with the old school aluminum 5-stars cause they're my fav stock jeep wheel.

zluster said:
Crap I really typed "audio" up above. Dang.

Need better edit buttons.

woo, you made an oops too! haha

anyways, you didn't answer the soa question! It's okay, I kinda downplayed it...

Oh, and who's your contact for 2500 parts? I don't know for sure, but I don't think a 2.5L front end (what the 2500s have) will fit onto a 4.0L, but the comanche is more likely to have a 2.5L anyways... Don't go on my info though, I'm just throwing that thought out there!

Yes with a tad bit of modding you can get the front end of a 2500 to fit on a XJ or a MJ since they share around the same parts.

Mr_Random said:
woo, you made an oops too! haha

anyways, you didn't answer the soa question! It's okay, I kinda downplayed it...

Oh, and who's your contact for 2500 parts? I don't know for sure, but I don't think a 2.5L front end (what the 2500s have) will fit onto a 4.0L, but the comanche is more likely to have a 2.5L anyways... Don't go on my info though, I'm just throwing that thought out there!

Yes, the rear will go SOA with an 8.25, that will be one of the first things done, mostly because I can get a free 8.25 for the rear.

Several of us went in on 2500 parts in a buy a little while back here on NAXJA.

The 2500 parts are just new front body parts, there's nothing different about the engine bay from the US 4L/2.5L and the chinese 2500/2700. The 2500 parts are as much of a bolt-on as you will ever get.

MiNi Beast said:

Yup, if you look at the last page of the NAXJA thread you will see our delivery is getting closer, I look forward to getting them on my new MJ!

Something else:
MJ12.jpg

MJ13.jpg

Its the "Vehicle information center" for the diesel XJs, has the glowplug light, WIF light and low coolant light.

I'm probably going to try and pick up the little bugger for my swap.

zluster said:
Yes, the rear will go SOA with an 8.25, that will be one of the first things done, mostly because I can get a free 8.25 for the rear.

Don't you still have to move the spring perches alittle to do SOA. I don't think the measurement is the same.

rmm727 said:
Don't you still have to move the spring perches alittle to do SOA. I don't think the measurement is the same.

Dunno, but theres no way I will be sticking with the D30, my friend has a 01 that we are going to haul off with some metal scrap I have, we will do a quick switcheroo with mine for his before it goes for scrap.

Not as good as a D44, but a quick and cheap solution.

zluster said:
Dunno, but theres no way I will be sticking with the D30, my friend has a 01 that we are going to haul off with some metal scrap I have, we will do a quick switcheroo with mine for his before it goes for scrap.

Not as good as a D44, but a quick and cheap solution.

Pretty sure you meant D35 there. Is the 8.25 a 27 spline or 29 spline? Either way, and even with some bracket moving involved, free upgrades are always good.

Dave41079 said:
Pretty sure you meant D35 there. Is the 8.25 a 27 spline or 29 spline? Either way, and even with some bracket moving involved, free upgrades are always good.

Yes I did, I even consciously thought about making sure I did not type D30 when I posted that, yay for dyslexia!

29 spline out of a 01.

ok someone else brought this issue up over on comancheclub, so the following is a bit of reference material, I should note the same information applies to anyone installing a newer PCI engine into a XJ, be it a 2004 4L or a 2008 cummins.

Root Moose said:
For the interior are you planning to make the air bags functional or gut them and use them to make the interior look complete?

I don't see why the entire SRS harness couldn't be transferred over to an older XJ... it's not like anything structural changed. the sensor locations and such should still be valid unless there is some kind of a ECU tie in with the air bag ECU.

jtdesigns said:
Most airbag systems I've ran into have there own computer with them, most of the time you have to swap the srs unit with the bags. I know airbags also require a speed input too, so you'd have to get the wheel speed sensors too, or the vehicle speed sensor.. I dont know which one jeeps use.

The XJ ACM(Airbag Control Module) is a self contained unit that sits under the center console, there are no crash zone sensors as many other airbag systems have, merely the accelerometer/safing sensor located in the module.

There is not a direct connection between the ACM and the vehicle speed sensor, The XJ ACM does use the CCD bus connect, though the wiring diagrams seem to indicate that it connects to the gauge cluster(presumably for the airbag light) and the data link connector(for diagnostic).

Regardless I still have some concern that the ACM will need the vehicle speed information available on the CCD bus. This is a problem because the KJ CRD ECU uses the newer PCI bus.

If the vehicle speed information is needed for the ACM to operate properly then I will use a XJ CCD PCM(basically a 97-01 XJ PCM) connect the 5V supply, ground, and speed sensor signal back to the XJ PCM where needed, and connect the PCM to switched power as needed. This will then take the speed signal coming from the speedo pickup and broadcast it via the CCD bus. Since the vehicle is getting rewired with the PCI bus for all critical functions the CCD will be a secondary bus system that only contains information for the ACM.

So by doing it this way I can ensure that the airbag systems will still remain functional.

Of course the difficult part of this is...

How exactly to test.

:D

I wouldn't sweat it. Worst case - they don't go off and you get the same level of safety as a regular MJ.

I'm quite jazzed about this swap you are doing. Looking forward to updates and the final product. I need to dig into the FSM and read up on the ACM.

zluster said:
Ha, ya, guess I won't ever know for sure untill something bad happens!

Hook it up with the accelorameter on a piece of plywood and smack the plywood with a hammer and see what happens.

Be sure to post a video.

Damn you Sam, I'm right in the middle of a move and a house resto job and you get to do the fun stuff. I've been gathering parts for a bit now but you are leaps ahead of me. I sourced the Diesel XJ information panel from a place in Australia for cheap. Anyhoo, good luck and take good notes and pics because I'm going to be bothering you on it in a few months.
-Chris

Back