• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter went out, fixed it, now starter doesnt get a signal?? HELP!!

i have a 1993 sport with a manual, 4.0 and thats about it, when i bought it, i knew the starter was on its way out, and i had one laying around, when it did die, i went and switched them out (after testing the new one and it was good), after this my new starter isnt even getting a signal, i tested it with thouroly and found that the green sigbal wire doesnt have any power now, the only hing i can think of is that when i was changing starters, i unbolted the old one from the car before removing the electrical wires, so i had to hang it from the wires for a few moments, so naturally i looked at all my wires expecting to find the signal wire to be the shortest and that i pulled it out of its other end, but this wire had the most slack! so i now have no clue as to whats wrong, my only thought is that the starter simotaneously went out with the ignition switch (what are the ods of that???). any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. thanks, jordan

My (generic) schematic shows only a red and a brown wire to the starter. Red wire should be always hot 12v and the brown is what is switched. I would make sure the starter relay is still good (may swap with another relay)

DangerousJordan said:
come on naxja.org, we can do better than this...
I've never experienced this specific problem, but since no one else answered, I'll take a shot at it. Check where the starter power supply comes out of the starter relay. If it's still not getting power at that point, try testing your ignition switch. Do you have a haynes or chilton's manual? They should have procedures for testing the ignition switch. If the ignition switch is giving power, then the problem is likely your starter relay, or your starter fuse in the power distribution center.

Here is a diagram of the '91 starter circuit, which might help (Don't have a '93):
StarterCircuit.jpg

Here is the ignition circuit:
IgnitionCircuit.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
i had simliar issue, starter died(or so i thought) changed it,lasted a few hours and bam, no start again.. checked the resistences on my battery cables and both were really high, so i put in new cables and the truck started right up,, might wanna start with that,,

Back