• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#7 fuse on 1984-9188 AMC style fuse panal

So reverse lights issue Solved,
The fuse labeled TRANS is a 7.5 kept blowing when I put it in reverse. Put a 10amp fuse in it and she runs like a champ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Now all I have to do is figure out why my service lights aren't coming on, possible headlight switch issue and my wiper motor isn't coming on

Just looked at my fuses box and the #7 fuse is blown, didn't have time to replace it before work but I'll do it when I get home...what could cause it to keep burning out, short?

Ok so my #7 keeps blowing with 10 and 15 amp fuses
When i put a 20 amp fuses in its ok but the lights are super dim,
What could this be...
I traced the wires and can not identify a short...
Unfortunately unplugged the front light harness connection and still blowing so that tells me that it's shorting the rear somewhere.
I can't identify a rear connection to see if it's rear lights

That loom runs down the driver side. I would pull the interior panel on the driver's rear quarter, especially if it has been wired for a trailer hitch.

Ok so my #7 keeps blowing with 10 and 15 amp fuses
When i put a 20 amp fuses in its ok but the lights are super dim,
What could this be...
I traced the wires and can not identify a short...
Unfortunately unplugged the front light harness connection and still blowing so that tells me that it's shorting the rear somewhere.

Reread post #6.

http://cruiser54.com/?cat=2

I know you don't like my answer to you............

You'll have to go through your wiring, inspect, clean, or replace every light socket. Clean or eliminate every connector. Replace your battery cables.......clean every ground or replace every ground......etc...........

Replace your headlight switch........brake switch...........etc.........

Add new grounds........

There is no silver bullet to solve your electrical problem......it's a 30 year old Jeep.

Other place to look is where the wiring goes to the tailgate top drivers side rear this will have the lighting for the license plate, defrost, wiper motor and speaker wire , then behind the tailights is where they plug into the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I got all the lights working there is a connection in the back, two thick wires (brown/white, black). When I unplugged it it stopped blowing the #7 fuse, I can't seem to locate where it goes, I traced it to the lift gate but the don't seem to be plugged in anywhere...

Anyone know what these wires are.

Odd, the diagram I have shows two circuits that have BRN W/TR & BLK:
Rear Window Defogger-12 GA
Back Up Lamps- 18 GA

At the other end of the Jeep, under the dash, the Turn & B/U Fuse (YEL W/TR) also supplies switched power to the Defogger Switch, and Defogger Relay. Just to add to the confusion, the load side of the Defogger Relay, with the 12 Ga BRN W/TR wire, also has an 18 Ga BRN W/TR wire, to supply the light in the Defogger Switch.

I'll report back with a location for that relay.

Would that relay cause my turnsignals not to work when my headlights are on?
With headlights off, everything works.

Head lights, or running lights? I am leaning towards no.

Headlights,
When I pull switch all the way out.
I have not tried it with switch pulled to first setting

Try it with just the running lights.

My gut tells me you might be pulling the ground through the lighting circuit. Has this Jeep been wired to pull a trailer?

Finally got home, going through my library of service manuals, I do have the electrical trouble shooting manual for the 88 Cherokee & wagoneer. Also Comanche 87 & 88
Real books not files, bought a few of these up when I was trying find a fix for the dash harness in my 85 XJ with newer xj parts.

If you're still trying to trouble shoot let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back