• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-Production Sneak Peak at Boostwerks Comp Mount

Awesome write up. I have been waiting for this to hit the market as well. I have held off building a recessed winch mount for this and am about to weld up my front frame stiffeners but had a question. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but do you think there would be any issue running the Hooligan Offroad frame stiffeners that wrap under the frame rail? They wrap under the rail around where the sway bar mounts. I see that you have to flatten part of the rail but not sure if its the same area that these are tying into.

12038472_865121163610039_7829112355563682478_n_grande.jpg

https://www.hooliganoffroad.com/collections/xj/products/xj-front-stiffeners

I've had a few customers with our steering brace along with stiffeners like this, get it to work by simply adding an additional spacer in the front portion to take up the space. I don't see why this wouldn't work in this application as well. Like Anak had mentioned, you may need to clearance the front for the unit to move back, but it shouldn't be much due the slight angle.

Too bad the bottom of the mount isn't removable. Then you could weld it in place and still have access to your winch for servicing.

That was actually the first design that I was working on. However, I decided against it due to the potential stress risers that welding can bring when welding sheet-metal. Then there's the fact that not everyone knows how to do it properly, so you may end up doing more harm than good.

If you are concerned about it shifting, you could put 4 small tacks on the outside corners as a reassurance. They would be easy to access with a cut off wheel for removal, and wouldn't add any substantial weak point.

The assembly as is, is very easy to remove and reinstall once the initial installation has been performed, especially if you have a transmission jack.

That is a good question.

Ones like these, right?

standard.jpg

They appear to primarily attach along the outside of the frame rails. That part should not be a problem. Those two right angle brackets (sort of in the center of the picture) could be a problem though. The Comp Mount interferes with the location of the lower inside hole. That is not an insurmountable problem though. I am looking at welding a similar plate in place for increased strength. What I don't know about are those two brackets at the bottom of the picture with two bends in each of them. How do those attach?

I have a pair of those two hooks around here someplace (in the parts Jeep I think). I know they are missing the right angle brackets, but they may have the other ones. If I get a chance I will play around with them and post up what I find.

Yup, those are the right hooks brackets.

The brackets at the bottom of the picture are sandwiched between the tow hook and tow hook bracket on the 2 hole side. The single hole side bolts to the frame rail. For reference, the driver side frame rail hole is directly under the steering box. Since that is where the Comp Mount bolts into to, you might have to drill a hole in the Comp Mount to use that support bracket.

But seems like it will still work.

If I understand correctly, the bracket in question needs to go to the location of the middle bolt shown through the Comp Mount in this picture:

CMWU33OPT.jpg

I see the gussets as posing a probable interference. How much interference would be the question.

I will see if I can find my parts and run a fit check.

Cool. I haven't installed those brackets on mine yet because... well I am lazy and didn't want to move the steering box. So I have mine in the garage patiently waiting for when I put the new Steering box spacer in. But if you can't find yours let me know. As you know, I love my OEM skid plate and tow hooks and don't like the idea of getting rid of them. Especially since I flat tow my rig often.

I would get this in a heartbeat. Gave up searching for a hidden winch or a bumper that doesn't stick out a foot.

Really like this idea...wondering if those of use that already have invested in nice aftermarket bumpers could mount a second fairlead in said bumper? Would keep winch hidden and not waste the previous investment. How low would the fairlead sit? Mind taking a measurement for those of us pondering this.

Can you hide that behind a stock bumper?

Like this:

CompMountOnOPT.jpg

To be fair, there is not yet an opening in the bumper for the fairlead. I am still working on that. I will probably have to cut out the bottom third of the bumper in the center, about the width of the license plate. We will see how well the license plate hides it.

The plastic valence is necessary in order to hide the mount. It hangs lower than the bottom of the bumper. The valence will require some trimming and some different mounting holes. I have that planned out in my mind. I will post up pics as progress occurs.

Back