• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drill and tap thermostat housing?

Sub Zero

NAXJA Forum User
I'm been looking for a solution to add a threaded temp sensor for my taurus fan swap as I'm not very fond of the radiator probe type. I came across a "high flow" thermostat housing made by hesco that has an extra temp sensor hole. I don't really need or want anything "high flow" since my jeep has no issues with running hot or overheating. From what I can tell, it's just a factory housing that has been modified. Has anybody has any luck drilling and tapping their thermostat housing with any success? I've posted the link below so you can see the extra hole drilled and tapped in the housing face. I also tried searching but I can't get it to work on mobile.

http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=showpic&id=146448&header=false

That's where the temp sender is on a late model!

Drilling and taping the housing isn't difficult. Make sure which threads you need for the sensor as most are NP and not a SAE. If it is NPT don't get crazy with the tap as NPT is a tapered thread, go to far and the sensor won't seal. I do it to and temp sensors to older boat motors all the time, that's how I know about getting out of control with the tap.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...j9UL4qradxH06zMPrryxAOodnwjxeZ3oaAp74EALw_wcB

This one comes with a ground stud, you will otherwise need to find the correct 2 wire that will cycle at the correct temps. You'll want one that comes on at 195.....any later and you'll be catching up and running hot.

The Hesco is BS, try finding a good switch with 1/4 npt and the correct cycle temps.

I looked at those as an option too and may use one as a last resort. I just thought it would look a lot cleaner to mount it on the housing instead 9f having to cut a hose. Also, the fan controller I'm going to use is fully adjustable and comes with the sending unit.

Drilling and taping the housing isn't difficult. Make sure which threads you need for the sensor as most are NP and not a SAE. If it is NPT don't get crazy with the tap as NPT is a tapered thread, go to far and the sensor won't seal. I do it to and temp sensors to older boat motors all the time, that's how I know about getting out of control with the tap.

Yeah the sending unit is 1/4x15 not. I know that the threads taper to help the connection seal.

The Hesco housing is rather nice. They just cut away some of the restriction inside, a little more flow will never hurt.

pretty sure the newer model housing will work with the correct adapter for the sensor. I did that on my 88. threaded adapter from Lowes, Home Depot etc

pretty sure the newer model housing will work with the correct adapter for the sensor. I did that on my 88. threaded adapter from Lowes, Home Depot etc
I believe thet are talking about an additional spot for a sensor.
Otherise I would have mentioned that.

Back