• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Intake Tube

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at the Rusty's Intake Package. Don't want to spend a lot, but also don't want to worry about stuff splashing in there if I want to hit a LITTLE mud. I searched and did'nt see anyone saying "DON'T BUY RUSTY'S INTAKE PACKAGE" like a lot of his other stuff, if anything people recomended it due to it's very economical price.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

xjh3 said:
I am looking at the Rusty's Intake Package. Don't want to spend a lot, but also don't want to worry about stuff splashing in there if I want to hit a LITTLE mud. I searched and did'nt see anyone saying "DON'T BUY RUSTY'S INTAKE PACKAGE" like a lot of his other stuff, if anything people recomended it due to it's very economical price.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
I run one, no probs as of yet, cheap for what you get, large K&N cone filter w/recharge kit.

I've got it. I covered the filter with foam prefilter for extra mud protection.

I do try and avoid the neverending swamp style mud though.

The prefilter I got is from some dirt track racing outfit. I don't know who though, I got it from a racer buddy.

when I was younger and more naive I bought the K&N intake system, $400 I think total... waste of $300 IMO. I could have bought the filter, and some tubing to make my own for $100... or ordered the Rusty's package and be done with it.
I would say go for it, I have his exhuast package w/intake tube (gave the tube to a buddy since it was cheap add-on $)
Unless you swim your rig, or spends silly amount of time in water you shouldn't have much to worry about. If you spend that much time in water than the filter/engine is only one of your concerns for water damage.

I just got some cheap sheetmetal from the True Value store, bent it up, drilled some holes and put it in place. Took about 20 minutes and a few bucks, and it's enough of a 'splash shield' to keep mud out of the filter and not block airflow at all.

The only thing bad about Rusty's Intake tube kit OR any airbox replacement kit is that you are sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. I run Rusty's airtube kit, very simple, I like it with the exception that once the engine bay warms up, performance goes way down, though as I said this is the same with any cone in the engine bay set-up.
D

Ditto the warm air thing....especially without increasing the size of the filter.

In my trail rig I run a 9 inch long cone that is 6 inches in diameter. On the my street rig it's a K&N replacement panel filter in the stock airbox.

If the filter that comes with the Rusty's kit is still the K&N #0910 it's actually smaller in surface area than a stock filter. You might want to consider putting a K&N stock replacement in and running that instead. You get cooler air and a bigger filter than the conversion.

I had one as well ,sold in favor of the stock airbox and a drop in K&N air filter.Too much hot air without a shield and it definetly doesnt like to get wet.

xjh3 said:
What about when I'm driving down the road and I've got lots of cold air coming in through the grill and stuff?

The filter is exposed in the engine bay. The only way you're really going to see much of a performance gain is if you locate the filter in an area where it'll receive cooler ambient air (ex. snorkel). Get a drop in filter. You won't have the bling..but then again your wallet won't be $100+ lighter.

It's beyond me why you'd want an exposed air filter if you're going to do any kind of off-roading. The 5 hp or whatever you'll supposedly gain isn't going to outweigh the PITA that you'll have keeping the filter clean.

xjat_01.jpg

I got the Rusty's air tube when I installed my aux battrey (needed the space the stock air box took up) and it does the job.

I had a K&N stock replacement element for about a month before the Rusty's kit and if I didn't need the space I would switch back to that setup in a heartbeat. Underhood temps means power loss (don't really care in 4L, but th etrip home can get annoying) and dusty trails mean I have to clean and oil the filter after every few trail rides, and there are not a lot of options on making it water "resistant".

I don't do a lot of water and I HATE mud, so the last issue isn't that major for me. If you want to do deep water crossings or are concerned with clogging the filter up, keep the stock box, snorkel it, and install the panel from K&N, you'll be happier in the long run.

HTH

Well today I got my airtube in the mail, and I put the big filter that I got at AutoZone on and took it out for a spin. The first strech of a 55 mph road I hit I floored it. There was a considerable increase (not an overwhelming) in pick up, especially in mid range or when already moving. But the best part is how cool it sounds. I love stomping on the pedal now and hearing that roar from under the hood. Depending on how things go as far as water resistance and heat, I may switch over to an AirAid kit, but for now I'm quite pleased.

Thanks to all who gave their input.

xjh3 said:
I love stomping on the pedal now and hearing that roar from under the hood.

So do our friends at Exxon. :shrug:

It is a nice sound though....

Back