• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.0 LS Swap

JeremyB

NAXJA Forum User
The swap has started.

2000 6.0L LQ4 and 4L80E in to a 2000 XJ. Headers and engine mounts should be here Thursday.

I know there may be better options, however this is a budget build (I have a hard time saying BUDGET on this project) and I got a deal on the engine and tranny. I am taking my time working on it in between customers cars, so this may take some time. I will do my best to make this as clean of a swap as I can.

This is what I started with. (Yes that is a 2wd 4L80E, I will be converting it to 4wd).

Repairing the 3 exhaust manifold bolts.

After new gaskets and some paint.

Trimming the intake.

Waiting on the headers, mounts and oil level sensor plug from Novak.

I hope you replaced the knock sensors while you had the intake off.
I like orange.
Do you have/planning on running a cowl hood or hood spacers? The intake still looks too tall to fit.

I hope you replaced the knock sensors while you had the intake off.
I like orange.
Do you have/planning on running a cowl hood or hood spacers? The intake still looks too tall to fit.

Yes I did replace the knock sensors. And I will be running a cowl hood. The truck intake is too tall. I did not want to loose the torque or spend the money to convert everything to a car intake and accessories.

I am real, real excited about this one.
If I ever get around to LS'ing the XJ, I'll probably go 5.3 / 4l60e (budget) but the 6.0... you are going to love this thing.
Planning to go to Novak for the radiator, too?

You might be able to trade that 4L80 for a 4L60e. It would make the install easier, I bet.

I still might. The plan is later down the road to swap the cam and heads to get closer to 400hp. The 4L80E would be the better trans if I follow through with it. I may be happy with 300hp.

The 4L60 should hold up fine though. I'm sure you might even be able to find a local to swap that 2wd trans for a 4wd as well?
Some L92 heads and a Z06 cam would be nice.

I still might. The plan is later down the road to swap the cam and heads to get closer to 400hp. The 4L80E would be the better trans if I follow through with it. I may be happy with 300hp.
i thought the lq4 only needed a cam swap to make real nice power?

4l65E is superior to the 4L60E, 5 Planetary gears vs. 3, and it you won't have to hack up your tunnel to get it in the heep.

I will try and find a 4L65E. Thanks! If it was not for you and John D (AKA Godfathers of the XJ LS Swap), I would not be attempting this swap, and for that Thank You.

I'm sure you don't remember me, but we met when I lived in the Springs at a couple of the NAXJA meets.

Here is the rig I had back then. Pic was taken at Eagle Rock.

Removed the dash and started removing the engine today. I'm removing the dash so I can remove all unnecessary wires and make room for the ECU. I want the engine bay to be as clean as possible.

I also picked up a new p/s pump for a 03 1500 dew to the fact the LQ4s have a pump with hydroboost. You can plug the extra return port on the pump, but I don't want a hose with a bolt in it and now I know I have a good pump.

I tracked the Novak order and everything will be here tomorrow.

I do believe the 4L65E can be found in the TBSS.

!
I didn't know the LQ4s had hydroboost. I need to get an LQ4 pump for my truck now...

Back