• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start, running lights come on when you turn the key etc

XJRunner

NAXJA Forum User
Alright my Jeep wont run, it'll barley start idle for a second than sputter out. Also my running lights come on when you turn the key. I think it might be the CPS but whenever I test it I dont get any readings. What do you guys think?

I think you need to provide more information. Year, engine, transmission ?

Are all your tune-up parts fresh ? Why are the lights coming ON ? What have you tested and inspected ? Why are not getting any readings on the CPS test ?

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Have the battery, and the alternator Load Tested for proper function in a test machine that applies a simulated work load. Handheld testers are inaccurate and will often pass faulty parts.

battery is less than a year old and mounted inside, battery cables are clean, grounds are clean. its an 87 with an 89 motor aw4

Back