• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need another new radiator

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
40000 miles ago I replaced my rad with a new CSF 2-3 core, i forget. anyway this one has sprung a friggen leak! Its an easy job but this seems rather soon to need a new radiator and im kinda P.O. that ill have to spend that money on a rad again:gonnablow. what brands do you all recommend? any advice is appreciated.

I had a csf 3-row for about 6 or 7 years. When it sprang a leak, I called csf and got a free replacement. The guy was very friendly and helpful. The only thing I had to do was send them pics of the sticker on the radiator, and the leak, and they mailed me a new one free of charge. I didn't even have to return the old one.

And the leak was my fault! I ran "Dex-Cool" antifreeze, which corroded the solder joining the tanks to the fins.

Here is the contact page for CSF: http://csfimports.com/contact-us/ Give them a call. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a free replacement also.

Anyway ... The replacement is still chugging along and cooling extremely well.

Last edited:
I had a csf 3-row for about 6 or 7 years. When it sprang a leak, I called csf and got a free replacement. The guy was very friendly and helpful. The only thing I had to do was send them pics of the sticker on the radiator, and the leak, and they mailed me a new one free of charge. I didn't even have to return the old one.

And the leak was my fault! I ran "Dex-Cool" antifreeze, which corroded the solder joining the tanks to the fins.

Here is the contact page for CSF: http://csfimports.com/contact-us/ Give them a call. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a free replacement also.

i will absolutely get in touch with them. its a good build/fit radiator. im very surprised its leaking.

I have carquest replacement rad's in my XJ and MJ 3+ years no issues

There's always the dealer if they still offer a copper/brass style. My Jeep has the original one and no leaks, it's a 91 and always had proper maintenance from the start. Where did the leak start at? Solder joint or tube/fin? Seems most aftermarket stuff is not to the same quality like copper/brass thickness, quality of solder AND proper cleaning after solder. The solder flux is corrosive.

You could try to fix yourself. Clean and dry the inside and out. Grab a propane torch and some silver solder and flux. Flux it, heat, apply solder. They probably used some cheap solder and technique at the plant and a poor cleaning procedure afterward that left some caustic flux at the joint. Salted roads don't help either if the radiator wasn't correctly painted afterwards.

where is the sticker located i dont remember seeing one on install ?

Nm they want me to call whoever I purchased the radiator from and submit a warranty claim. No idea where I got it years ago. I had hope that would've worked thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I love it when people post and fix there on PROBLEM.:yelclap::yelclap::yelclap::yelclap::yelclap::yelclap::yelclap:

where is the sticker located i dont remember seeing one on install ?
I think it's on the bottom of the radiator, but I'm not sure. I just took it out, found it, and took the photo.

Nm they want me to call whoever I purchased the radiator from and submit a warranty claim. No idea where I got it years ago.
Don't give up. I got mine from Radiator Barn, which went out of business a few years later. I called CSF, told them that, and they processed the warranty. I would recommend calling back, explaining, and you could very well have better luck with a different customer service rep. If not, ask to speak to his supervisor. Tell them that you are posting the results of your call on the Internet ... don't take no for an answer! You bought and paid for it, you deserve your warranty service.

can stop leak damage a copper bronze radiator. I want this shop to right dumping stop leak in my cooling system. I slapped a napa spectra rad in her for now and planned on having a local shop see if they can fix the CSF. I dont know who i bought the CSF from and ive tried twice today to get CSF to warranty it.

No Stop leak will not damage the radiator or block or the heater core. I use the Bars Leaks Stop leak Pellets and have never had them damage anything.

I did R&D under a US DOE grant back in the 1990s and had a half day chat with a formulation chemist at Prestone and found out the auto companies have used these pellets in the radiators on all brand new cars since before WWII to ensure they do not leak before the warranty expires :)

Race car drivers used cracked pepper in the old days.

What clogs radiators is slow head gasket leaks. The CO2 from the exhaust reacts with the sodium metasilicate in the antifreeze and lowers the pH of the antifreeze to a point where the silicate precipitates and forms a white concrete film on the inside tube walls, that blocks and insulates the tubes from conducting heat. That is why Antifreeze should be tested and drained and changed out every 3-4 years, or sooner if the head gasket is marginal.

Also using tap water instead of Distilled or DI-Deionized water for leak replacement or make up coolant puts calcium and magnesium from the tap water into the cooling system that precipitates as it reacts with the silicate forming concrete scale.

Check that the rubber isolation mounts for radiator are not missing. If they are missing they can cause vibration that causes mechanical damage leaks.

can stop leak damage a copper bronze radiator. I want this shop to right dumping stop leak in my cooling system. I slapped a napa spectra rad in her for now and planned on having a local shop see if they can fix the CSF. I dont know who i bought the CSF from and ive tried twice today to get CSF to warranty it.

Back