• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad grinding when starting engine.

alek21

NAXJA Forum User
2001 Jeep xj, 4.0l, aw4, np231 180k miles.

Just did a 4wd conversion on the jeep this weekend.originally had a 2wd automatic and I swapped in a 4wd aw4 with an np231 bolted to it. Got everything all bolted up and torqued down to specs and went to bump the motor and it is making a horrible grinding sound. Pulled the starter off and re-installed it to make sure it was meshing right. Seems to be ok. I inspected the teeth o. The flywheel and they don’t look chewed up or anything. When I put the trans in I made sure the torque converter was all the way on. But let’s say it slipped a little during install and I didn’t notice, would I have been able to still bolt it up all the way to the flywheel? Would it make a horrible grinding sound when cranking the motor it is we’re off a little? I was able to get it bolted to the flywheel fine. Thanks for any advice.

Don't be offended, but did you actually bolt the TC to the flex plate?

Yes it is possible to cram the transmission all the way to the motor without the TC being engaged. Bad news is that if that happened, you most likely damaged the transmission.

So the engine never started? Is the noise only when cranking but not when running? If the starter Bendix did not disengage, the starter will make a large amount of noise.

Found the problem, one of the oil pump bolts was loose and the torque converter was rubbing on it. Thanks for the replies:yelclap:

Back