• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moparmans Commando Build

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a few XJs and MJs, and a ZJ but never owned a pre-smog Jeep. This thing popped up on craigslist about 30 minutes from me and I jumped on it (about a year ago now). It sat for around 15 years but ran and drove, somewhat. It has the 225 Dauntless v6, t86 3 speed, and d20 tcase. I have a T15 tranny to swap in as well. Did all the regular stuff and got it running and driving safe enough. Swapped the closed knuckle d27 for a CJ d30 and swapped a big chevy disc brake kit on it. I have a matching CJ d44 to go in as well which should be happening soon. I have some lofty plans for this thing that will take place pretty slowly over the next few(many) years. For those who don't know, the Commando was the predecessor to the full size Cherokee. My model is known as the C101 (101=wheelbase) and was made from ~66-71. In 72 they came out with the "Bullnose" Commando C104 and the name change from Jeepster to Jeep. This is also when the Commando changed ownership from Kaiser to AMC. Plans on the short list is rear axle swap, carb problems, tuning, t15 swap, Hydraulic clutch fab/install, Tilt column swap. Here's a few pics:

wtW8op1.jpg

FFEPgA7.jpg

kWir3Dx.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. I just picked up a 1970 Jeepster. Been looking for one for many years. Interested in the T15 swap as my T14 trans was in the back and missing all the internals.

Back