• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 Centerline to Pinion Dimension

yellowoctupus

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where to find dimension "A" for an 8.8 in the picture below? Or, "G"?

piniondimension.jpg

I 'built' a rear end at the junkyard the other day by taking Crown Vic 3.08 Gears and putting them on a '97 disc brake Explorer 3L55 carrier (to get disc brakes, the 'highway' ratio and a limited slip), but forgot to measure the 3.55 pinion+spacer so now I don't have a don't have a starting reference point for my pinion setting.

Ratech makes a funny little offset tool that you can use, but I think it would be more accurate to put a parallel across the bearing cap mount or even across the low point that they reference rather than just to one side. http://www.powerperformancenews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/10/REAR-10.jpg

At this point, you would be better off just setting them up as a "new install".
You should have at least pulled a pattern first!

Yes, I am considering this as a 'new install' at this point. The Ford manuals show setting up the pinion depth first with their fancy gauge; I'm trying to explore other options. I think their setup is a bit 'over the top' for a relatively simple measurement.

What good would have it been to 'pull a pattern'? The 3.55 gears looked like they were very clean, centered patterns, etc, but like I said, I didn't measure them before leaving them at the 'yard.

Last edited:
Back