• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone that hasn't adjusted their Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

Cables stretch.

Amazing fix to my otherwise flawless jeep!! I was literally about to drop a grand on the transmission and with 412k miles on her it woulda been hard to explain that to my wife.

Easy Peasy. Push Button, WOT, Release Button. Cable is Adjusted.

Then: Pull Cable Out 1/4" & Install Cable Clamp at Throttle Lever.
= Instant Shift Kit.
Firm Positive Shifts w/ Heavy Go Pedal. (Thru Entire Gear Range!)
And, Smooth Positive Shifts w/ Light Go Pedal.

Works Very Well on my 96 4.0 HO!

UncleSarge58

Got a picture? A visual would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone that hasn't adjusted there Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

Wel.. the 1-2 shift is computer controlled and does nto usually engage til something like 45-4800 rpm.

I read somewhere else online that most are not computer controlled and those that are don't have this particular cable.

That being said, I took my fuel rail off yesterday to change out my injectors. I was having the heat soak issue in injector three so i replaced all of them and added new heat shielding. Worked like a charm, no more vapor locking. But i noticed after i put everything back together that it was shifting into 2nd and 3rd really hard. I must have accidentally adjusted this little cable because after i tried this trick my jeep feels like a whole new truck. And it really is the simplest thing to do, in my case its just a button and you move the cable housing in and out. I positioned mine about 1mm away from this little brass limiter on the cable, now it shifts so smooth i can hardly feel it.

I think you adjusted it wrong then... you should follow the adjustment procedure in the first post, basically you adjust it all the way to the far end and then swivel the throttle bellcrank to wide open throttle and the adjuster will ratchet as far as it needs to.

With it adjusted to where you have it, you're probably slipping the clutches in the transmission longer than you need to and may wear things out prematurely.

Back