• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would this slightly damaged axle shaft still work?

skylinergtr

NAXJA Forum User
i was in need of a driver side axle shaft for my 91 xj. I found this on ebay from seller alljeepparts401. He has lots of good reviews. Anyways i got the axle shaft like this. I dont know if this is how it was as he was selling it, or if it got damaged during shipping. I just want to know if it will still work because that is my only concern.

the advertised picture:

!BhVU5s!CGk~$(KGrHqYOKjoEryj,wI,wBLIpu1rJUg~~_12.JPG

the picture i took now:

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

It doesn't look too bad. How is the U-Joint. It doesn't look like the shaft itself is that bad amd the splines look okay. If it was me I would find someone with a sand blaster and get it cleaned up and then replace the U-joint. Just take it easy at first.

thanks for the reply guys! i thought it would be okay maybe just to hammer it. The ujoint seems good i guess. Im replacing it because my old ujoint broke and part of the shaft broke too so i needed a complete assembly. I plan on cleaning it up a little bit and then putting it in.

Same thing happened to my new alloy USA axles during shipping. I just bent the flange part straight again. It seems like just a dust shield and nothing crucial at all being so thin. Once bent back well enough you can't tell anything ever happened.

You'd think however a company like alloy USA would had known how to ship their stuff in a way to prevent that.

The axle shaft is fine. The dust shield that goes on the axle shaft got bent up, but that's not a big deal.

Are you going to install a new joint before you put it in? Also if the dust shield can't be straightened, they're a light press fit. You can remove the bent one and install the shield from your old shaft.

thanks all! i wont be changing the ujoint. Im trying put the least amount of money into this car as its my beater and the ujoint on it seems fine. Hopefully it wont break.

Back