• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 fuel pump wire colour

Nice write up.

My 1990 FSM shows AT THE PUMP--RD (red) positive, VT (violet) gauge sender, BK (black) ground.

Changes to:

PK (pink) positive, TN (tan) gauge sender, and the ground doesn't matter.

So, in summary, if the 89 is like the 90 you want the pink wire.

thanks for the quick reply. hope your xj has something similar 'cuz it sounds pretty nice from your sig

That is one of the things on my "to do" list, and I think I'll "to do" it tomorrow.

Buddy of mine up in Eugene, Oregon says there have been a number of lifted XJs stolen there in the last few weeks.

Good luck.

Nice write up.

My 1990 FSM shows AT THE PUMP--RD (red) positive, VT (violet) gauge sender, BK (black) ground.

Changes to:

PK (pink) positive, TN (tan) gauge sender, and the ground doesn't matter.

So, in summary, if the 89 is like the 90 you want the pink wire.

hmm pink wire didn't kill pump. time to do some more searching

Ok, my Haynes (which I consider less reliable) shows a four cylinder 86-90 with a orange to pink/white to orange wire.

Haynes for six cylinder 87-90 with a orange to pink/black to orange.

Back to 90 FSM--you don't have an MJ do you? Shows a RD to RD to RD all the way.

So it is orange at the B pillar? Is your 89 a four or six?

Ok, my Haynes (which I consider less reliable) shows a four cylinder 86-90 with a orange to pink/white to orange wire.

Haynes for six cylinder 87-90 with a orange to pink/black to orange.

Back to 90 FSM--you don't have an MJ do you? Shows a RD to RD to RD all the way.

cut the pink/black one and it didn't even have the pressure to start. now i just need to wire the switch. THANKS!!!!!!

:roll:

I LOVE IT!

There is a S--t load of wires in there.

My fuel pump positive IS the 14 gauge pink with black stripe. The only other large gauge wire I see in mine is brown with white stripe. As far as I can see all the other wires are of 18 gauge or thinner size.

cut the pink/black one and it didn't even have the pressure to start. now i just need to wire the switch. THANKS!!!!!!

:roll:

Hey, glad you got it!

Make sure you make clean and tight connections--big fan of soldering here--and heat shrink tubing or tape it up tight.

Good luck.

BTW--is that Lethbridge Canada or California?

Assuming you still have the ballast resistor, that would be a good spot to insert a kill switch. It would start and then die, making the thief think it has problems rather than a kill switch.

How did it turn out? Still going good? Got an 89 myself. Looking for a simple solution. So, you keep the switch on all the time, correct? And turn it off when you don't want the vehicle to be able to start.

How did it turn out? Still going good? Got an 89 myself. Looking for a simple solution. So, you keep the switch on all the time, correct? And turn it off when you don't want the vehicle to be able to start.
Reviving an old one!

On my '87 its pink/black and it works like a charm.

I have seven...yes seven other kill switches to pertinent components as well, one at the fuel pump isn't enough INMO.

When it comes to Renix jeeps, I never had to add any kill switches, they come built in it seems, LOL, but bypass, redundant extra power lines to bypass the rotted AMC factory wires were very useful.LOLOLOL!!!!! :cheers:

Back