• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build Thread: Better Luck Next Time

xCWolf

Bring the Boom
NAXJA Member
So after NACFest where I ripped out my crossmember dropped my trans on the trail broke my exhaust my front sway bar ruined and ruined my trans mount I knew it was time to build the old girl the right way.

The suspect XJ:
34zbse9.jpg

There were already some things done with no pics =( I know I suck haha
Rancho 1.5" lift rear leafs
RE 2" lift shackles
IRO Catback Exhaust
IRO Hack n' Tap SYE w/98 front driveshaft
Rancho RS 7000 Nitro Shocks
eBay Special LED Headlights (Ugly but they work!)
Optima Red Top Battery
Moog HD u-joints and ball joints
AFE Cold Air Intake

Here's some pics from todays work (finally remembered my cell phone has a camera!)

New motor mounts to start:
x2rz8l.jpg

et778g.jpg

These were made for me by XJWonders I know he has some posts in the vendors section. Check him out his work is OUTSTANDING build quality is AWESOME.

I don't think the motor and trans mounts are in full production yet (they're not on his website) I guess that makes me a bit of a test dummy but they are awesome. Fit right in no problems look great as well.

I also got a trans mount that I haven't put in yet but I'll post some pics when I do.

Trans mount:
osskz9.jpg

More to come as I will be doing my front suspension a bit later next month It looks like and the trans mount probably next week.

what are your plans for the crossmember?

I'm either going to get a "new" one from the junkyard or go with the IRO 4" long arm lift that comes with a crossmember. I'm leaning towards the IRO 3" lift that comes with the trackbar as I don't really NEED 4" of lift

So I need to fix the wallowed track bar which I THOUGHT I fixed with a ton of torque (hint: doesn't work)
Anyone know if this will work or am I going to still need to fix that hole? if I do still need to fix it I guess there's no point in buying that.

Which end is wallowed out? axle end, or frame? And what track bar do you have on it now?

I just found my frame-side bracket wallowed out (and I had an RE1600 on it because the original hole had wallowed out, so I enlarged the hole for this)

I couldn't find a new OEM bracket and wasn't sure what shape a used one would be in, so went with an IRO double-shear kit (bracket and bar). Should be a "permanent" fix.

I saved the OEM frame bracket and RE bar - the bar's in fine shape, but needs an axle-end bushing (melted it heating the bolt to get it out) - figure it might do someone with under 4.5-inch of lift and is fine with single-shear some good...

Which end is wallowed out? axle end, or frame? And what track bar do you have on it now?

I just found my frame-side bracket wallowed out (and I had an RE1600 on it because the original hole had wallowed out, so I enlarged the hole for this)

I couldn't find a new OEM bracket and wasn't sure what shape a used one would be in, so went with an IRO double-shear kit (bracket and bar). Should be a "permanent" fix.

I saved the OEM frame bracket and RE bar - the bar's in fine shape, but needs an axle-end bushing (melted it heating the bolt to get it out) - figure it might do someone with under 4.5-inch of lift and is fine with single-shear some good...

It's the axle end with a stock trackbar also I just realized I didn't post a link for the one I was looking at.

There's a good amount of play. I either have to weld a washer/plate on it cut and weld a new bracket on or find some way to do it without welding (preferred as I don't have access to a welder)

http://www.ruggedridge.com/rear-track-bar-relocation-bracket-18305-02.html

That is the one I referenced in an earlier post.

Don't have time to search right now but there area lot of builder parts for axles out there, some aftermarket trackbar brackets included. Would have to cut yours off and weld on a new one. Its an option.

Yeah I've seen a bunch of those but I don't have anyone close to me to even borrow a welder from. So I'd have to buy one trying to avoid that but I REALLY think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get one I don't really see another option

Replacing the bracket is probably the best option.

As to finding a welder, have a couple thoughts:

1. Rent one for a weekend? Not sure if equipment rental places do welders, but you never know
2. Post up in the NAC board to see if any of the NAC members are nearby and could help out - I know there's a bunch of members up that way, but I don't know the geography.

As to the crossmember, I wonder how long it's gonna take to grind through all the welds Bernie put it on with down at Rausch...

Picked up a harbor freight welder today, raining out though. We'll see how all this works out tomorrow when it's nice out.

Welder is a must and will pay for itself in a matter of minutes.

I started with 220 welder later, later added a jd32 bender, now just adddd a hypotherm 45xp at work.
Even with thousands in tools invested it was so worth it.

Picked up a harbor freight welder today, raining out though. We'll see how all this works out tomorrow when it's nice out.

Do yourself a favor and toss the wire that came with it and go get some good wire from a welding shop or lowes/home depot.

My dad had a welder from there and i tried to use it to do some welding for him and it was a PITA to get a semi decent weld. When the wire ran out & I went and got some more, the new wire from lowes worked awesome.

Especially when using fluxcore.

Do yourself a favor and toss the wire that came with it and go get some good wire from a welding shop or lowes/home depot.

My dad had a welder from there and i tried to use it to do some welding for him and it was a PITA to get a semi decent weld. When the wire ran out & I went and got some more, the new wire from lowes worked awesome.

Especially when using fluxcore.

That does seem to be the general consensus I'm going to use this to run some beads get a bit of practice in on some scrap and than grab something a bit better.

Back