• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj sport 5.3 swap

got the novak mounts installed, and installed a 97+ washer fluid reservoir in the 97+ location. since my xj is a 96 is has the punchouts for the newer style in it already so its just a matter of wiring and plumbing, i did it to clean up the engine bay a bit

im done working out side for the day cause it gets too damn hot to keep working out there past 130 when my shade goes away. but im gonna work on the fuel sender tonight, i may just switch to a 95- version since i wont have to dick around with a return line or a goofy pressure reg. i need to go to the junk yard anyways

So were you able to get the bolt that's under the passenger side engine mount? I wasn't so I just left it out.

It's hot in my garage today too. I don't have thermostat, but I'm sure it's north on 100° in here

nah i didnt, i got some paint in the bolt holes and they wouldnt thread in so i said..."screw it!" haha

i figure if its and issue ill just weld the bottom corner of the mount to the frame and call it good

in other news i cleaned up the garage a bit today, and got the jeep temp sender in the head adapter, i just had to drill it out to a bit for the end of the sender to not hit the ridge on the inside of the adapter. im going to make a junk yard run tommorow and grab a few things, then attempt to drop the motor tommorw night

Cool man :) I think 1 missing bolt will not be a worry on those mounts. They are beefier than mine and have more bolts in them. If anyone has a problem with mounts it would be me and I seriously doubt I will.

What are you needing from the junkyard?

yea i bielive i have 8ish bolts in each mount so im not really worried

im gonna grab a 95- fuel sender since i feel like using that will be a much better option then hacking up the goofy 96 sender

some kind of 15-20 pin connector to join jeep and chevy together so i can un plug the harnesses from one another

and a 19x22 condenser, not sure what ill grab it out of yet, im leaning towards a jeep 2.5 condenser but there may be a better option on a different vehicle

ill use the open space above the steering box for trans/power steering fluid coolers

I used a TE Connectivity 32 pin connector for my gauge cluster. Digikey has a lot of connectors like that for not too bad of prices if you can't find one at the JY

plugged in the harnesses today, its still a big mess, but its the kind of mess where i know where everything is haha

also cut the support out for the new rad, i decided im going to run a factory jeep 4.0 condenser for the a/c i wasnt happy with how much of the support i would have had to cut out, ill just stack a couple of oil coolers (trans/ power steering) in the open space next to the rad, which i still need to fab mounts for..

also the kwick performance bracket does not clear the steering gear box (durango box/c-rock spacer) ill wait till i get my trans mount in the mail till i figure out what im gonna do about it, im likely just going to move the pump up and drill new holes ive got some space to work with. it just depend on the angle of the dangle, i think the main issue is the bracket moves the pump up and over ..but not up enought, but everything clears to hood at least

also i some how managed to dent the hell out of the tranny pan and punch a hole in it when i drop the motor in yesterday and didnt notice it till this morning

Is there room to move the alternator down & towards the center some ??

I notice that always seems to be the high point on these v8 installs........

Is there room to move the alternator down & towards the center some ??

I notice that always seems to be the high point on these v8 installs........

the bracket im using does that and the alt clears the hood just fine, the issue im having is with the power steering pulley not clearing the steering box.

i kew going in that the truck bracket wouldnt clear the hood

the bracket im using does that and the alt clears the hood just fine, the issue im having is with the power steering pulley not clearing the steering box.

i kew going in that the truck bracket wouldnt clear the hood

I got the problem you were having, was just asking if the alt could also be moved....

Looks like moving the alt in & down would help with hood clearance, and give enough room to the reservoir for the PS pump to move out & up to clear the steering box.

How hard would it be to put the alt over where the idler pulley is on the pass side, and then move the PS pump up ?

Just kinda thinking out loud and asking cuz I am looking at doing this too soon to my 96 sport.

Last edited:
I got the problem you were having, was just asking if the alt could also be moved....

Looks like moving the alt in & down would help with hood clearance, and give enough room to the reservoir for the PS pump to move out & up to clear the steering box.

How hard would it be to put the alt over where the idler pulley is on the pass side, and then move the PS pump up ?

Just kinda thinking out loud and asking cuz I am looking at doing this too soon to my 96 sport.

not to hard but i should have enough space to move the pump up enough to clear, if thats not enough ill press on a smaller pump pulley

The alternator is too thick to move in front of the head. There are different bracket companies out there. Mine are from LSBrackets and fit fine, It just uses a different style power steering pump.
85BB7A47-4043-4ABE-BB66-F2241301A9DF_zpsblyr9ypb.jpg

The alternator is too thick to move in front of the head. There are different bracket companies out there. Mine are from LSBrackets and fit fine, It just uses a different style power steering pump.
85BB7A47-4043-4ABE-BB66-F2241301A9DF_zpsblyr9ypb.jpg

Again, just asking, but if the belt is parallel to the front of the block, and the alt fits in front of the drivers side head, then it should fit in front of the pass side head.....of course, with different brackets.

I may have to keep it on the drivers side for an A/C compressor...gots to have my A/C.

Your brackets look like they clear everything better tho

Again, just asking, but if the belt is parallel to the front of the block, and the alt fits in front of the drivers side head, then it should fit in front of the pass side head.....of course, with different brackets.

I may have to keep it on the drivers side for an A/C compressor...gots to have my A/C.

im sure it could but i dont know of any brackets on the market that do that, however if you have fab skills you can make the accesories do whatever the hell you want

im sure it could but i dont know of any brackets on the market that do that, however if you have fab skills you can make the accesories do whatever the hell you want

I've had to do that before on other vehicles, but it's a PITA if they don't line up 100%....much easier to use proven stuff if it is available....

Look up goatbuilt LS brackets and dirty dingo brackets, they have options to swap alternator and P/S to the opposite side. The brackets depend on the the P/S pump you want to run.

Back