• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whooshing/clicking noise in driveline (not u joints)

Coremcqu

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys - new to this forum and am at a loss for things to check at this point. I recently lifted my 2000 cherokee and rebuilt the transfer case (np231) with SYE and a new double cardon drive shaft and when accelerating, mostly when everything is cold, i get a whooshing/clickong noise coming from the rear half of the vehicle and am having a hard time determining where the noise is coming from and dont want to pull the tcase again if my problem is diff related. Im posting s video soon. Up on jack stands i can spin the rear shaft and wheels and hear no noises. Any advice would be great. Stay tuned for a link to the video on youtube.

Looks to me like you need more angle on your pinion and maybe that's what's causing the noise

What's up with that exhaust ?? looks like it's pointing up at the fuel tank ?? Would think you'd want it pointing down.

Last edited:
Definitely need to fix the rear angle and the exhaust !! What SYE kit did you use? Why does the driveshaft look new "forward of the rear yoke"?
How much lift did you do? I don't see any rear bump stops either?

Last edited:
Back