• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready to change universals

TDoggs

NAXJA Forum User
I figure I might as well reset everything in the front end.

I do have a question though. In slow sweeping turns. To the right at highway speeds, I can feel the old wobble trying to start.

As soon as I straighten out, it stops. Since the ball joints were only replaced on one side, could hat be the problem?

I've found that when I get a new XJ it's worth it to change all universals, ball joints, control arms, steering tie rod ends and the track bar. It's a bit of cash up front, but once you've got it all apart it goes pretty easily. Last one I went over had 92K on it, I drove it without issues to 220K.

Agreed! And I’m probably already 3/4 of the way there!

I want to remove the 4wd drive shaft and drive the Jeep to see if that's what's causing the "rumble" I feel on the highway (it goes away when I engage the 4wd)

Is it safe to do so?

If you remove front driveshaft do not engage 4wd you can remove rear driveshaft and drive it in 4wd

Back