• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some suggestions 98 head on a 91

REVROK

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys need some suggestions. Found some water in the oil on my 91 and had a 98 head sitting around that I knew was good so I saved $100 by having it rebuilt vs. getting a reman. I also used the purdy 98 valve cover. Now I have created a couple of unanticipated issues.
  1. The 98 head does not have a threaded hole for my temp sensor
  2. The 98 Valve cover is apparently missing some spacers that I did not know I needed and now I have a leaky valve cover :(
So now I am looking for an alternative way to get my temp sensor threaded into a water jacket that will not cause a different leak and will give me a good reading. I thought about drilling and tapping a freeze plug, but which one? and would it leak?

Just need a source for the little spacers for the valve cover. Have not been able to find them.

Drill and tap the thermostat cover for the sensor, or install the sensor in the block drain plug hole and extend the sensor wires. The temp sensor location is still there on the 98 head casting, it would just need drilling and tapping.

Drill and tap the thermostat cover for the sensor, or install the sensor in the block drain plug hole and extend the sensor wires. The temp sensor location is still there on the 98 head casting, it would just need drilling and tapping.

Yeah, I saw that there was a flat area there, just trying to avoid pulling the head again. I think I may add an extension and go for your first idea... easy to do in aluminum. Curious, is the block plug the same size?

Hey guys need some suggestions. Found some water in the oil on my 91 and had a 98 head sitting around that I knew was good so I saved $100 by having it rebuilt vs. getting a reman. I also used the purdy 98 valve cover. Now I have created a couple of unanticipated issues.
  1. The 98 head does not have a threaded hole for my temp sensor
  2. The 98 Valve cover is apparently missing some spacers that I did not know I needed and now I have a leaky valve cover :(
So now I am looking for an alternative way to get my temp sensor threaded into a water jacket that will not cause a different leak and will give me a good reading. I thought about drilling and tapping a freeze plug, but which one? and would it leak?

Just need a source for the little spacers for the valve cover. Have not been able to find them.

Any ideas on my second question? The oil spot on the driveway has not yet been noticed by my wife, but...

Are you meaning the spacers between VC and head to prevent crushing the gasket?
They molded in and are part of the replacement rubber gasket.

Are you meaning the spacers between VC and head to prevent crushing the gasket?
They molded in and are part of the replacement rubber gasket.

Apparently not the gasket I received. May just hit the stealership.

Correct. Reusable. But not if you goop both sides of it with RTV. FelPro works the best.

RTV on rubber? :looser: I have the rubber FelPro... torqued to spec and leaking like crazy.

The blue FelPro? Should be fine with no sealer/RTV.

Reusable as long as you don't put RTV on it.

Yes, I understand that, it is the blue FelPro... the gasket has no RTV on it, the problem is that it leaks and I am needing to figure out why! It may just be that I take it back off and either get a new gasket from the dealer or???

Back